• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cvernons

cvernons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

I have a large (55,000+ person) database covering 500+ years.  My surname (Spalding) is constantly 'Americanized' by various entities as Spaulding.  In addition various nicknames have evolved over the years for given names and have found their way into various records over historic periods.  This results in beginning a record with a primary name spelled one way and finding out (sometimes decades later) that it should be spelled/replaced by another name, one which was entered as an Alternate Name to the original primary name used.

As I find various records the source information is tagged to each name version.  Over the years there are Primary and Alternate Names for the same individual with literally dozens of sources for each in my DB.  I realize I can manually change the name and manually transfer the source references but this is a very time consuming process and results in errors as typos creep into the end result.

I am looking for a method to swap a Primary Name with an Alternate Name while keeping each name's appropriate/respective Source information. Ideally this would work similar to the Husband/Wife swap - i.e. select an Alt Name record and click a button to swap name and source information intact.  Has anyone encountered this issue and come up with a methodology?  I have many hundreds of records needing this 'fix'.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

I showed a way to swap an Alternate Name with the Primary Name in Names - Edit NameTable with SQLite Expert. Sources for the original Alternate Name will disappear from view and you may be surprised to have pop up sources for the new Alternate Name that were hidden when it was the Primary, were the person imported from Ancestry or FTM. The General sources remain the same.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 cvernons

cvernons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Tom

I appreciate your reply but not losing the Sources for each side of the swap is my critical requirement.  From your response the Alternate Name used will lose it's sources upon conversion using the SQLite Expert model cited - correct?

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3024 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:44 PM

The sources will disappear from view but will not be lost from the database. I recognize that this is sort of a distinction without a difference because what good is a source if you can't see it.

This is a fundamental design feature/flaw of RM 7 and all previous releases of RM. The design feature/flaw in RM is that it doesn't have a Name fact even though it does have an Alternate Name fact. Rather the primary name is linked to the person record without there actually being a Name fact for the the primary name. Hence the design doesn't actually support the concept of multiple names with one of them being primary. Tom's SQLite code is a workaround for the problem, but it's a workaround that's not 100% complete and can't be 100% complete given RM's current design.

RM really needs to have a true Name fact in order to handle FTM direct import adequately and in order for TreeShare to handle interchange of data with ancestry.com adequately. Nobody but the developers knows if this feature will appear in RM 8.

I have added a user defined Name fact to my own database as an anchor point for sources about a person's name and for a narrative about a person's alternative names and by what names they were (or are) really called. I'll probably have some work to do to clean this up if/when RM 8 provides the needed functionality. My user defined Name fact certainly doesn't take care of issues like FTM direct import and interchange with ancestry.com via TreeShare.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

The invisible citations for the Primary Name can be made visible in RootsMagic by converting them to citations for the Person (General). See http://sqlitetoolsfo...veal and Revertbut they then have no home on Ancestry. I fully expect this will be resolved in RM8.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.