9 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

In the past 2-3 days I have experienced a significant slow down in Tree Share processing. Yesterday, it began freezing "again", requiring "control alt delete" to end the transaction. This was an issue some months ago, but was resolved. Now it is recurring. Does anyone know if this is being caused by a new "bug" or is it just network traffic load, etc?

Oops - just happened again - this error message popped up -

"RootsMagic.exe Application Error

The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) 

occurred in the application at location 0x00000000777A08F2."

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

Ancestry is reporting some slowness and other issues and are currently working on them. If you encounter an issue with your account, wait a couple hours and try again. If you continue to experience issues contact Ancestry support directly to investigate it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

Thanks Renee

RickL

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

Renee,

Ancestry Support suggested changing browsers. I switched from Chrome to Firefox but still had the same result. Tree Share has stopped working completely now. I receive the following error message when I try to upload an item from RM to A.com using Tree Share.

"Roots Magic Genealogy Software has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Close Program"

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rick

------------------------------------------------

OK, apparently they fixed the problem. It has cleared up this (3/31) afternoon.

-------------------------------------------------

Now it is back again (4/2 morning). Is anyone else seeing this?? Clearly intermittent, and ranges from a complete freeze (requiring a reboot of RM to clear) to a very extended processing time for a transaction to complete. Same error messages as before. Contacting Ancestry Support was not much help. They gave me a ticket number, but no response yet. 

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

We just have to be patient while Ancestry works through issues on their end. What Ancestry Support needed to do is escalate for investigation and it sounds like they have. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

Renee,

Received the following response from Ancestry Support. Does not really give me any help. Re-syncing my tree with Ancestry frankly scares the "bejeebers" out of me.   :unsure:  With all the issues I've had to clean up in the past, not real sure I want to do this.  What happens to all my hint links etc if I resync?

Any comments appreciated.

"Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regard to Roots Magic Tree Share.

We feel bad you are getting bounced back and forth.  I've personally talked to the technicians and there is simply nothing Ancestry can do to assist you with the software.  However, of late there was some occasional sight slowness and they recommend you try syncing your tree again to see if it will work for you this time. 

Best of luck to you in resolving what may be causing the issue with your software not syncing your tree.

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to reply to this message or call us at 1-800-ANCESTRY (1-800-262-3787) between the hours of 9am to 11pm EST, seven days a week.

Sincerely,

Niki

Customer Solutions Associate

Ancestry"

RickL

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

Wow, not even sure what to say about that. RootsMagic doesn't sync and there is no way to re-sync your tree. We simply share data back and forth. Maybe the Ancestry support person didn't realize you were using RM and not FTM. Not even sure why earlier they told you to switch browsers. Doesn't add up.

If RM has stopped working then I would now do an uninstall / reinstall of the program and see if that resolves this. If you are on a Mac you will need to do a complete install including the wrapper around the program. The directions are below.

https://support.root...agic-on-the-Mac

If the uninstall / reinstall doesn't work then I will recommend you call into RM support and see if they can identify remotely what is causing RM to stop working. 

Phone: 801-489-3102 - Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm (MT)

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:45 AM

Renee,

I think your prior advice about "being patient" may be the best thing I could do. I'm still seeing intermittent slow downs and occasional freezes, but TreeShare is working otherwise. I'm very reluctant to try and reinstall or reconnect  when this is the only issue I'm seeing. I don't believe the issue is on my PC, I think it is probably a server issue at Ancestry.

I received another email from Ancestry support, and yes I did tell them I was using RM 7.5.5, Windows 10, on a Dell laptop. I'm now sort of confused about who is supporting TreeShare.

Hello Rick,

Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regard to Roots Magic software.

Unfortunately, we don't know how to assist you with Roots Magic.  We can only support the website, but don't have training on other products.

If you need additional assistance with the Ancestry.com website, please feel free to reply to this message or call us at 1-800-ANCESTRY (1-800-262-3787) between the hours of 9am to 11pm EST, seven days a week.

Sincerely,

Niki

Customer Solutions Associate

Ancestry

Thanks Renee for your help.

Rick

RickL

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:17 AM

I would not uninstall/reinstall if this is intermittent. I would only do it if RM itself stopped working and had to close. 

I think you are correct its based on the server your hitting on Ancestry. The part Ancestry support would handle is if your account and trees have an issue loading after a period of it being down for you. Then they forward it to be investigated. Since this is intermittent then it would not appear to be something to investigate right now to them. 

One thing you will want to check is your internet connection and anything that might block RM access to the internet. Make sure you don't have two firewalls or antivirus programs running and conflicting with access. Also check any internet filtering software you have installed in your browsers. My bank gave me a browser filter and it slowed my computer so bad I had to take it in to be fixed. Once that was removed magically everything speed up. So look at anything on your end that could be causing issues to rule that part out. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

I agree

Thanks for the tips

Rick