6 replies to this topic

#1 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

I'm trying to figure out to open an old database using RootsMagic 7. The folder has 35 files with extensions such as FOX [correction: FOW!!], CDX, DBF, FPT. I've looked in RM help but the suffixes aren't mentioned; I searched the internet and found Alfred's 2008 post listing the suffixes that I have, but can't figure it out.

What is the correct procedure to open this database? I've tried File > Import / New / Restore, but the files aren't visible when browsing. 

~ Debbie

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

I have been using RootsMagic since before it was named RootsMagic -- that is, I started using the RootsMagician's software when it was called Family Origins (back in the 1990's).

My stored copies of old databases have these extensions:

Family Origins 4, 6, 8, 9 and 10 == cdx, dbf, fow, fpt

-

RootsMagic 1 and 3 == cdx, dbf, fpt, rmg

-

RootsMagic 4 and later == rmgc

Given that, I suspect your list of extensions is incorrect (please check - do you have FOX or FOW), and that you actually have an old database from Family Origins.

So I would suggest you try this info from the RootsMagic Knowledge Base:

https://support.root...s-to-RootsMagic

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Thanks! Yes, I did have a typo and it was actually FOW file among the 35 files. I was now able to successfully open the FOW file into RM7 by following the directions at the link you provided. 

Now that I have the database saved as .rmgc, is there any reason to save all the 35 files? What do you recommend? 

~ Debbie

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:41 PM

I very likely keep a whole lot more historical backups than most people who use this forum.

I have backups stored on archival hard drives going all the way back to the beginnings of my genealogy research -- even before I found out about Family Origins. Might be around 1/2 TB of old files and data. So, for my habits, yes, keep those files.

But, seriously, if you are satisfied that your data has transferred completely, you may not need thoseold Family Orogins files.

But !!!! Before you delete those old files:

Look in the folders where the old Family Origins files and the new RM7 rmgc file is located. There is likely to be a brand new *.LST file there. If so, open it with Windows Notepad or your choice of a text editor. It will list any known items that did not transfer from Family Origins to RM7. YOu may be able to use that info to manually enter the problematic data to your new RM7 file. THEN, you may feel OK with deleting the Family Origins files.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

If you do not have the Family Origins software actually running on a computer, there is no point in keeping the fileset now that you have imported the data. You cannot view the original data without FOW and you cannot install the program on a contemporary pc from the installation disc.

Btw, don't look for a .lst file; they are created on GEDCOM import but not for direct import.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:08 AM

Mapleleaf, I'm agreeing and piling on with TomH and zhangrau, with one addition:  using a "virtual machine," it is possible to open very old programs on a modern PC. I had to do that last December with a 20 year old architectural drawing.  Complex, not easy, but a possible way to wring out the very last bit of data from old files.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#7 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! 

~ Debbie