I want to share my maternal grandmother's ancestors with one of my cousins. She has RM7. I remember being able to do this with RM4 a few years ago, but can't recreate it.
Sharing a portion of my tree
Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:36 AM
Some RM4 databases will have an issue going from RM4 to RM7. You will need to download RM6 (Essentials is fine) to convert it and then open it in RM7.
You can simply use the Ancestor option in RM4 with a drag n drop to get all the ancestors of your maternal grandmother. However if you want the ancestors and descendants on this maternal grandmother's line, going up the tree and then down the tree on each ancestor, there is and option under Ancestors to include their descendants in RM7.
Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:22 PM
Thank you for your quick response. I need a little more information however.
- Where is the "Ancestor" option on RM4?
- Will this create a database (like a GEDCOM) that I can send to my cousin, who then can open it with RM7?
- What database issues do people have going directly from RM4 to RM7?
Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:37 AM
Where is the "Ancestor option on RM4?
This video will demonstrate how drag n drop works and show you the options screen.
Using Drag and Drop in RootsMagic
Will this create a database (like a GEDCOM) that I can send to my cousin, who then can open it with RM7?
No unless you used the option to create a GEDCOM instead. You will have another RM database to send them that they can open in RM7. (Additional steps maybe needed to have it open in RM7 as mentioned before)
What database issues do people have going directly from RM4 to RM7?
No database issues. Just a file format change in the background that can cause a RM4 database not to open in RM7. In that case you download RM6 open in that, and then open in RM7.
Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:46 PM
I purchased RM7. When I tried to open my RM4 backup I got an application error message: Exception ESQLite3 in module RootsMagic.exe at 0006545B. SQLite Error 1 - no such table: LinkAncestry Table, and the database was never converted, even after a couple of hours. Next:
- I downloaded the free version of RM6. I was able to open my RM4 database without any problem in the free version of RM6.
- I backed up this RM6 file to a newly created folder on my hard drive. I looked, and it is an .rmgb file with today's date.
- I closed all of the open RM software.
- I opened RM7.
- I tried file>open and file>import, to open that RM6 backup in RM7 but there appears to be nothing for RM7 to open or import (the new folder only has one file in it and it appears empty to RM7).
What am I doing wrong?