7 replies to this topic

#1 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:54 AM

I have long missed, and wished for the return of, a Repository List at the end of my reports. This was a [] checkbox feature in Family Origins (and maybe early Roots Magic versions?). It's fair to say that I've given up on the notion that this feature will return in RM8, so I've started experimenting with how I might incorporate the Repository List info into a custom Source Template. In fact, since I have two repositories for many of my sources, I want them both included in the Bibliography Template sentence.

Since I couldn't find a way to get RM to automatically use the info in the linked repository, I decided to add extra fields to the Source Template to accomplish my goal. It means extra typing (and the chance of extra mistakes), but at least I managed to get my repositories included.

I started with a copy of the Book, Basic Format template, and added four new fields. This is the sentence I developed (the two underscores _ are included spaces). I presented the template on three lines to (hopefully) make it easier to read in the forum.

Bibliography Template
[Author:Reverse]. <i>[Title]<: [SubTitle]></i>. <[PubPlace]|N.p.>: <[Publisher]|n.p.>, <[PubDate]|n.d.>.
_<<b>Repository 1:</b> [Repository1]<, [Rep1Place]>.>
_<<b>Repository 2:</b> [Repository2]<, [Rep2Place]>.> 

Let's call the four new fields 1 2 3 and 4, and use a 0 to represent an empty field.
I tested the new sentence with these combinations:
 0 0 0 0
 1 0 0 0
 1 0 3 0
 1 2 0 0
 1 2 3 0
 1 2 3 4

I'm satisfied that the punctuation comes out as I intended for all of these combinations.

Any comments or suggestions?

Here's the results for a fictitious book:

Bibliography

Truesdale, William. All along the sea coast 0000: Time ran away with me. Evanston IL: Huckster Publishers, Inc., 2001.

Truesdale, William. All along the sea coast 1000: Time ran away with me. Evanston IL: Huckster Publishers, Inc., 2001.
Repository 1: Podunk Library.

Truesdale, William. All along the sea coast 1030: Time ran away with me. Evanston IL: Huckster Publishers, Inc., 2001.
Repository 1: Podunk Library. Repository 2: Megacity Archives.

Truesdale, William. All along the sea coast 1200: Time ran away with me. Evanston IL: Huckster Publishers, Inc., 2001.
Repository 1: Podunk Library, West Brazil IN.

Truesdale, William. All along the sea coast 1230: Time ran away with me. Evanston IL: Huckster Publishers, Inc., 2001.
Repository 1: Podunk Library, West Brazil IN. Repository 2: Megacity Archives.

Truesdale, William. All along the sea coast 1234: Time ran away with me. Evanston IL: Huckster Publishers, Inc., 2001.
Repository 1: Podunk Library, West Brazil IN. Repository 2: Megacity Archives, Gigatown NY.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1625 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

Thanks   This is one piece I have wanted since we lost it years ago.   

I also believe, we asked that the repository list in RM could have more than one choice for a Repository on a citation and not just ONE Repository.  It never happened.  This fix is good.  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

It really is unfortunate and frustrating that there is no Source Template variable that can retrieve data from the Repository List. Having to put it manually into every new Master Source is just so 'typewriter'.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

"typewriter" LOL I used a manual typewriter in my high school years, and moved up to an electric during college. I think I bought my first computer in the mid-80's. Blimey, me age be showin' !!!

I have many thousands of Master Sources to convert to my new template with repositories. Won't be done in 2018. Or 2019. Or .... ???

#5 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

I know I'm off topic here, but I'm curious as to what the "_" at the beginning of each repository reference in sentence template does. 

Kari

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

The "_" represents a " " (space), as stated in my narrative up there. I did that because I wanted the 2nd and 3rd sections of the Template Sentence to be displayed on lines 2 and 3, rather than word-wrapped.

How's this?

Bibliography Template
[Author:Reverse]. <i>[Title]<: [SubTitle]></i>. <[PubPlace]|N.p.>: <[Publisher]|n.p.>, <[PubDate]|n.d.>. <<b>Repository 1:</b> [Repository1]<, [Rep1Place]>.> <<b>Repository 2:</b> [Repository2]<, [Rep2Place]>.> 

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:51 PM

I did that because I wanted the 2nd and 3rd sections of the Template Sentence to be displayed on lines 2 and 3, rather than word-wrapped.

And he means he wanted them to be displayed HERE IN THIS FORUM on lines 2 and 3, rather than word-wrapped.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:47 PM

Here's my latest update to my custom Source Template: ! Book (with Repositories)

I have added a Catalog field to hold the ISBN or Library of Congress number, and Call Number fields for each of the Repositories.

The first screen cap is of the Source Template [Edit] view; the second screen cap shows the Master Source List using this template.

By the way, the Place for my GJDG Collection repository varies depending on where I was living at the time, so the Repository List (showing my current location) may not agree with my location at the time I acquired any particular source. I've decided that I like being able to show that variance.

rm7-source-template-book-with-repositori

rm7-queen-emma-and-the-vikings-2.png