3 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:03 PM

There are gold mines of genealogy records available on line, including Italian records for many provinces, available now through

http://www.antenati....i.it/?q=gallery

...but it takes forever to crunch the records with RootsMagic. It seems RM is designed so when you find a record, you can add it to your family tree, and the time it takes is not too much if there's only one; but harvesting the whole town is a different story.

For example, at

http://www.antenati...._00006.jpg.html

...you will find a marriage record, naming the groom, the bride, and their parents. Scroll down and you'll find a handwritten treasure, saying the following documents were provided:

5. Simile per Pasquale Maiete avo paterno della sposa morto a quindici Ottobre milleottocentoquattro.

Translation:

5. Similar [death certificate] for Pasquale Maiete, paternal grandfather of the bride, who died 15 October 1804.

(The bride was required to obtain her father's consent, but since he had died, the consent of her paternal grandfather, except that he had died, too. The birth dates of the groom and bride and any death dates, such as the groom's first wife or the bride's first husband, are often recorded. The certified copies of the birth and death records are themselves stored in the processetti records, and some of those are available on line, too.)

This means attaching the source many times; once on each person and then once on each fact, and there are seven persons.

What I would suggest is allowing the end-user to write a source, and then everybody and everything added gets that source attached to it, until the end-user clears that source and writes a different one while moving on to the next record. This would cut the burden in half when somebody is compiling a ton of records.

I have it down to a routine. This one, Castelluccia (now Castelcivita) civil marriage records of 1862 number 1, I would name CM1862-01 and then whenever I add a person or fact, I would do Alt+S for source, Alt+C to cite an existing source and then type in CM1862-01, Enter, and then Alt+O thrice, pausing between the second and third strike just long enough to let the edit screen appear and become closed. Even this way, it takes time that could be spent entering the next record.

There may be tools that do this, but they don't produce a .rmgc database. They also don't allow a merger when you find that the father and mother are already in the database as the parents of another groom or bride, or the parents' own marriage record.

With a small town, there are many persons who might feel like simply compiling all the records, and then seeing which ones connect with that person's own ancestral lines.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:06 AM

I would think it a little dangerous to make everything I add use the last source I last entered. People can forget to change things. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5696 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

It sounds similar to the way Ancestry supports the addition of multiple events and people for a common source.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

I do that with Census records for a family. Use the Canadian Census 1880 as the Source and the Citation is a particular film page # Entry #. Once I've done the first person in the family, I memorize that citation (in the Citation Manager screen click the Memorize button or use Alt-M) and then for every subsequent fact and person included in that Census record I Paste (Alt-P) that same source and citation in for them. It really does speed up the data entry for adding a person, their approx birth date, and a census fact as well, sometimes more if its a detailed Census. Alt-S, Alt-P, Alt-O .... the word Alt on my keyboard is getting rubbed off!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: indexing, databases