• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wallandj

Wallandj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

When I use the Source List or Master Source List I find it difficult to distinguish between sources.  The citations are often identical in the right pane.  And my Research Notes and Comments are not listed.  Only the Source Comments are listed. 

Also, when I pull up a source using the Source List, the media (photo) is missing.  When I pull up that same source as a reference to a fact (in the Person view), the media is attached.

Is this right?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

1 - sounds like you are confusing a Master Source and a Source Citation

- in Lists > Source List you are looking a Master Sources

- in the Citation Manager in an Edit Person screen, you are looking at a Source Citation

2 - a Source Citation is a specific use of a Master Source which includes the page # and other details

3 - images can be attached (or linked) to several places in RM

- they can be attached at either or both of the Master Source or Source Citation

4 - if you use a Master Source for multiple different citations, then you probably don't want to attach an image there

- for example, if you have a Master Source for a printed school yearbook, and you want to use that Master Source for two different people who appear on different pages of the yearbook, then I would recommend linking the images at the Source Citation level

- on the other hand, if you have a Master Source for a Boston city directory, and an image of one of its pages listing several family members, you have one image that applies to all of those people, and it may make sense to link the image to the Master Source (unless you will also use that same Master Source for another family on another page)

#3 Wallandj

Wallandj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

Thanks. I am new at this but your explanation is excellent and clarifies the matter for me.