• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JudithK

JudithK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

Several days ago I finally set up Time Machine to do automatic backups of my files.

Before I did this my roots magic media path was C:\users\crossover\My Documents\Genealogy

Since setting up Time Machine, any new media added path is Y:\Documents\Genealogy

There doesn't seem to be a problem with broken links except at first when I had to run the tool.  All the old media is located at the C location and any new media is at the Y location.

Rootsmagic locates it in the Y drive even if I have unplugged time machine, restarted my computer and reopened Rootsmagic..

Is there a problem with this?  I don't want to keep adding media if there is something not right.

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

Several days ago I finally set up Time Machine to do automatic backups of my files.
Before I did this my roots magic media path was C:\users\crossover\My Documents\Genealogy
Since setting up Time Machine, any new media added path is Y:\Documents\Genealogy

There doesn't seem to be a problem with broken links except at first when I had to run the tool.  All the old media is located at the C location and any new media is at the Y location.
Rootsmagic locates it in the Y drive even if I have unplugged time machine, restarted my computer and reopened Rootsmagic..

Is there a problem with this?  I don't want to keep adding media if there is something not right.

There is no connection between RootsMagic and Time Machine. Time Machine just takes regular backups of any changed files regardless of application or location on your Mac boot drive. Time Machine is not the cause of the change in your media path.

I strongly suggest that you keep all your RM files in your “standard” Mac file structure rather than hidden within what RM sees as the C drive. That means that all your RM files should appear to RM to be on the Y disk. If they are there, then they will appear in the normal way within the Mac folders accessible to your account on the Mac. Within RM, under Tools, select Program Options and then set all the Folders to point to folders on the Y disk.

So, using Finder, create a folder such as Documents/RM and then within that, create subfolders for Data, Backup, Reports, Gedcom, Media, etc, and then set the RM folders to point to these. The path for each of these within RM will be on the Y disk, though in reality they are just user folders within the Mac filing system.

In this way, your RM data is completely independent of RM for Mac and will be completely independent of “Crossover” and it’s file structure.

#3 JudithK

JudithK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

Thank you so much! Very helpful.