2 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

After quite a hiatus I am back to working on my RM data collection with new vigor.

Finding and merging duplicate individuals is always a challenge worth doing and where Duplicate Search Merge doesn't catch them I prefer to scour through the database using RM Explorer rather than the Index pane. This is because both birth and death date are visible in RM Explorer and the detail pane is visible to display all person details to enable educated matching.

The problem is there is no right click functionality in RM explorer to merge individuals identified as matches, please ADD this functionality, it makes perfect sense for it to be part of RM Explorer.

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3059 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

The problem is there is no right click functionality in RM explorer to merge individuals identified as matches, please ADD this functionality, it makes perfect sense for it to be part of RM Explorer.

Totally agree.

Lot's of other things would make sense in RM Explorer as well, e.g., Right Click->Reports or Right Click->Quick Groups, etc.

My sense of the side panel when it was introduced in RM4 was that (at least in part) it was introduced to minimize the user's dependence on RM Explorer. But RM Explorer is still good for lots of things that can't be done when you are on any of the main views.

And as far as the five different side panels, the one that most nearly replicates the view from RM Explorer is probably the Index Side panel. The Index Side panel is the default when you first install RM, and I suspect it's the side panel that most users use most of the time. But as a sample size of one, I find the Index Side panel to be the least useful of the five side panels. When I need to use the Index Side panel, I would probably rather be in RM Explorer. I use all the side panels when indicated, but the one I find most useful most of the time is the Family side panel.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic