Photo

Any adverse consequence of long detail text for source that will be used many times

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:49 PM

Are there any adverse consequences of long detail text for source that will be used many times?  

Here is the text I am considering using.

45.         Bender Johann Michael, S.v. B. Johann Peter und Hoffmann Anna Elisabetha von Altenkirehen

*          23.01.1769 in Altenkirehen, + 05.04.1834 in Frohnhofen (starb dureh den Sturz von einer Kutsche)  died by the fall of a Coach

I.  oo 05.01.1796 in Altenkirehen

Pfaff Maria Margaretha   (aus 261)

*06.10.1772 in Frohnhofen, + 20.02.1799 in Frohnhofen

II.°° 05.12.1799 in Waldmohr

Pfaff Maria Elisabetha   (aus 261)

*04.11.1774 in Frohnhofen, + 14.04.1812 in Frohnhofen

III.°° 15.07.1812 in Waldmohr

Müller Maria Katharina   (Nr. 221)

*17.06.1788 in Frohnhofen, + 05.04.1829 in Frohnhofen

Kinder:

1. Johann Peter * 19.11.1796 in Frohnhofen   (Nr. 46)
  2. Maria Katharina * 08.02.1799 in Frohnhofen, +
  4. Maria Elisabetha * 26.08.1800 in Frohnhofen, +
  5. Michael * 24.01.1802 in Frohnhofen   (Nr.48)
  6. Johann Jakob * 19.09.1804 in Frohnhofen   (Nr. 47)
  7. Maria Elisabetha * 09.03.1807 in Frohnhofen   (°° Knorr Johann Peter Nr. 184)
  8.  Johannes * 12.11.1809 in Frohnhofen (leistet 1833 seinen Militardienst ab)  does his military service in 1833

h) Johann Theobald * 24.07.1811 in Frohnhofen, + 01.08.1812 in Frohnhofen

i) Georg Jakob * 04.03.1814 in Frohnhofen (leistet 1835 seinen Militardienst ab)

j) Katharina Margaretha * 09.02.1817 in Frohnhofen, + 25.03.1844 in Frohnhofen

k) Barbara * 09.05.1820 in Frohnhofen

1) Johann Theobald * 17.10.1822 in Frohnhofen, + 13.12.1861 inOhmbach

m) Daniel * 25.11.1825 in Frohnhofen, + 21.01.1826 in Frohnhofen

n) Carolina * 17.02.1827 in Frohnhofen, + 14.06.1827 in Frohnhofen (an den Blattern)

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

The only adverse consequence is really a non-issue. Namely, each time you Memorize and Paste a citation, any data in the Detail Text is replicated in the database,  thereby taking additional space. But in the grand scheme of things, this rather long note stored in Detail Text is a totally negligible amount of space, even if it's replicated quite a few times. Not to worry.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7652 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

It could if you don't use ibid on the source citations in the narrative report. Might get tired of reading the same thing over and over otherwise. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

Thanks!

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

I don't understand. It looks like a transcription from an Ortssippenbuch. Are you citing the book and putting the text into the detail section? 

The only negative I can think of is that I believe that the detail section is copied to every citation. It could make your file bigger. 

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

It could if you don't use ibid on the source citations in the narrative report. Might get tired of reading the same thing over and over otherwise. 

There are a bunch of different options that you can specify for printing source citations in reports. I'm not 100% sure of all the ways the various options interact with each other. But I think the following pretty much reflects how it all fits together.

First of all, unless you specify the "Print research notes with each citation" option or the "Print detail comments of sources with each citation" option, then it doesn't matter for the purposes of this discussion, because the question has to do with source details. Which is to say, if you are not printing any of the source details then none of the source details are replicated. So let's suppose you do specify one or the other of the options.

Then it depends on whether you specify endnotes or true footnotes. So let's first assume you specify endnotes. If you do specify endnotes, then it also makes sense to specify "Reuse endnote numbers where possible". And if you do that, then the long citation notes are not replicated.

Finally, what if you specify true footnotes and also have long citation notes that you list. I don't think you are going to be happy with this combination whether you specify the Ibid option or not because the long citation notes are going to be repeated whether you specify Ibid or not.

I actually think RM could benefit greatly from a new option that doesn't currently exist, namely "Reuse true footnote numbers where possible". As things stand, true footnotes repeat within a page, either as short footnotes or as Ibid, and the effect either way is a lot of wasted space on the page and a lot of wasted paper when you print the report. For that reason reason and one other, I use endnotes rather than true footnotes. The other reason is that with endnotes and with the "Reuse endnote numbers where possible", citation numbers are combined even if they are not on the same page.

Jerry

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

I don't understand. It looks like a transcription from an Ortssippenbuch. Are you citing the book and putting the text into the detail section? 

The only negative I can think of is that I believe that the detail section is copied to every citation. It could make your file bigger. 

Yes, it would make the RM database a little bigger. But the amount of difference would never be noticeable. Renee was addressing another issue where there is an option to print the detail notes as a part of the footnotes or endnotes in narrative reports. RM has options to control replication of identical endnotes, but identical footnotes are replicated and become Ibid or short footnotes. Therefore, you would probably want to avoid printing detail notes as a part of true footnotes.

Jerry

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5719 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:08 AM

Very long or very many footnotes on the same page cause the report generator to crash. Another reason to use endnotes.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.