• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 acj2352

acj2352

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:12 AM

I have a new computer and I am having issues with importing my saved information that I've backed up onto my RootsMagic 3. What is the best way to upload my information.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

RM3 is a very old version of the software. Please tell us exactly what are the names of the files that you have backed up? We need to know how many files, and what file extensions they have. That info will allow us to give you some feedback.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7654 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:48 PM

To import into RootsMagic you need the RM3 database file, which is made up of 36+ files inside the same folder. If you only have a backup you can extract it if you don't still have RM3 installed. The backup is a ZIP file so you can extract it outside of RM. Then you use File>Import>RootsMagic (version 1-3) inside RM7 to import it there. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 acj2352

acj2352

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

The name of my backup is called jacobsen_20031102ged. It has all my information; and still can't upload to RM3 and now RM 7. I don't know what to do. I can upload informaton that given to me; but the idea of putting in my information would be tedious since its already been saved.  Any other options you may have.

Thank You.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

Your note does NOT show a file extension. Is there a period before the "ged" at the end of your filename?

If yes, then you should have a valid GEDCOM file, and can use File > Import to bring that info into a new, blank, RM database file.

If you do not see a period, then we need to figure out if there should be a period there. Try right-clicking on your "jacob....ged" file, and select Notepad to open the file. If you have a GEDCOM file, then the first few lines should look something like this:

0 HEAD
1 SOUR FTW
2 VERS 10.0
2 NAME Family Tree Maker for Windows
2 CORP Genealogy.com

If that's not what you see, then I need to know what you DO see.

#6 acj2352

acj2352

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:07 PM

There isn't a file extention; how would I make it a .ged.

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

1 - it doesn't need to be a GEDCOM in order to open and view in Notepad. Have you done that?

2 - click once on the filename in Explorer, hit F2 key, and then insert a period before the "ged"

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:18 PM

You might try right-clicking your mouse on the filename and choosing <Properties> at the very bottom of the drop-down menu that opens up.
It will then display a panel with info about the file. Typically, there is a line that identifies <Type of file:>

2018-03-15_221532.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N