• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rraisley

rraisley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:02 PM

First, maybe I should state what I /think/ Count Trees does. I /think/ it finds any group of related people, counts them and shows person #1 and the #people in each group. I get, for example:

George H Jones-1     6779

Hal Am I-5653             128

Ow Wowie-4352             1

Ima Alone-3552              1

Sure enough, the two trees with a count of 1 were isolated individuals, with no relation to anyone else, so I deleted them. Now the tree with 128 has some names that I /think/ are in the larger tree, but would like to be sure, and also, if they aren't related, I'd like to delete them.

Now, I seem to have been able to get the larger tree by starting a new database, and dragging a member of the larger tree to the new database, and select "Everyone in the same tree as".

But when I do the same with a person in the 128-member tree, I get BOTH trees, and a file exactly the same as I'm starting with. Why does the 128-member tree only not come out, like the larger tree did?

I can browse to the 128-tree (in the file with both), and find what looks like an entire tree of duplicates (identical, really), starting with a common ancestor. All, as far as I can see with different IDs. It's easiest to see in the Descendant tab. Now, I could start at the bottom, and delete families, I guess. But what if there's a common link between the two that I don't see? I'll delete people off the other tree too? And if that isn't the case, why can't I simply drag all 128 people out of it? If I can drag them all out, have one file with 6779, one with 128, I can compare all members side-by-side, and make sure everyone is there. I just can't separate the darn things!

Ideas?

#2 rraisley

rraisley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:49 PM

I was able to view the 128-tree in Descendants tab, and carefully delete a family at a time, making sure with the exported 6779 file that I had all the records. One branch just somehow got duplicated, then separated. Still don't  know why it wouldn't drag & Drop that tree out, but at least it's gone now.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2935 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

I'm confused by your description, but here is what I think you are talking about.

RM's Drag and Drop operation is a copy operation and not a move operation. So when you dragged and dropped 6779 people out of your first database into the second, then you had 6779 in your second database. But the 6779 people also were still in your first database. So then I think you dragged and dropped the 128 people from your first database to your second database and your two databases were then identical. That's correct. If you didn't want the 128 people in your second database, then don't drag and drop them there. Just abandon your first database and start using your second database.

Jerry

#4 rraisley

rraisley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for your response. I realize that drag-n-drop is a Copy operation. And I did get just the one tree when dragging the big one to an empty database, but did not get just the one small tree when dragging it to an empty database, which is confusing. And yes, it turns out that what I want is just the large one, but I didn't want to delete 128 people without comparing and being sure that I had them already in my database, and thought it would be easier & safer to compare them separately, rather than one with both. But it worked out deleting it a step at a time as I did. I suppose a drag-n-drop operation with the database produced the duplication, then removing a member or breaking a link separated the tree.

All's well that ends well. Thanks for your help.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:57 AM

I would be suspicious of the Count Trees algorithm. Does it test all of the parent-child and spousal links? It seems that a different algorithm is used for drag'n'drop of everyone in the same tree and it seems flawed in that it gives different results depending on the starting person. If it is flawed, then so might/is the algorithm for Count Trees.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 rraisley

rraisley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

From what I've seen, Count Trees seems to work. Going to each tree found finds no relationship or link to people in another tree. And dragging and dropping one large tree out of one database into another does copy  only that tree, not the others. However - dragging a small tree seemed to bring everything with it. So, I think it's fairly good, but not perfect. I know it's helped me eliminate extra and unconnected people from my main tree.