6 replies to this topic

#1 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:22 PM

I had an issue a few months back trying to import Legacy Stories into my RM7 database. The solution was given below:

Did you use a GEDCOM when transferring your Legacy 9 file to RootsMagic? If so, the first dialog (File > Export > GEDOCM file) includes a check box (Export Stories as Events) at the bottom of the GEDCOM Export dialog that should help you export your stories to RootsMagic.

This worked for awhile, but now when I try to import Legacy data, using the GEDCOM export from Legacy and checking the box, I am not seeing the stories as Facts in RM. Did something change? How can I get my Legacy Stories into RM?

Ted 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

Can you check the GEDCOM to see if the Legacy is still exporting them as Events when the option is selected. If they are events they should be coming into RM as facts. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

Hi Renee,

Thanks for your reply. Are you asking me to review the entire GEDCOM file? That is tons of code. When I am in the Legacy program and request an export to a GEDCOM 5.1 file, there is a box which is checked to export stories as facts. 

Ted

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

The answer would be inside the Legacy GEDCOM. You could contact Legacy support and let them know the story is no longer exporting as a fact. That would be the only explanation I can think of since what once worked is no longer working. RM will import it if the fact is there. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:03 AM

It's not hard to search a huge GEDCOM file for a distinct phrase from the Legacy Story. Open it with a text editor.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

So I'm still struggling with this. I have tried to import my Legacy database first as a GEDCOM 5.5 file and then again just a direct import of the Legacy database. neither will import my Legacy Stories or the Legacy Find-A-Grave ID#s. Is there a proven process to get either or both of these data points into RM?

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:04 AM

Did you contact Legacy support as Renee suggested? Did you open the gedcom file and search for a short phrase which might be in one of your stories?

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root