3 replies to this topic

#1 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

In the past I could leave Roots Magic open overnight and use it the next day without any problem.  Now it freezes up and will only let me back it up and close it out.  It works fine when I reopen it.  This just started recently.  I have run all the database tools but it does not make any difference.  Has anyone else encountered this issue?

#2 gaj

gaj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

No, but you must sign into FamilyTree DNA about every few minutes. It's the worst ever!!!

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8316 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

Can be risky leaving programs open over night. If Windows updates while its open it could make it unstable. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 thIII

thIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

I haven't, but as Renee said, it can be risky leaving it open over night. I do it all the time and never had that problem, even so much during the day when I'm away from my computer and my computer goes to sleep, I still have all the edit person, citation manager, edit source window all the other windows open and able to come back, wake the computer up and continue where I left off without a problem. As Renee said or alluded to, if there are any window updates or if you are syncing or doing some kind of thing where there's constant transaction with your computer and the network or another program or between RM and another application/network/program that relies on the computer not going to sleep, you could have that problem, that would be the only time I would experience anything like that.

Check for recent updates to your computer or windows or if there's an update you're missing in RM, sometimes those kinds of those can be trying to get your attention, when you ignore it things like this happens.