3 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

I have been adding lots of data from the civil marriage records that recently became available for my ancestral town. In a few cases, the lines cross into what I traced of my own ancestors. As I go further back, any new connection means more avalanches of cousins-by-the-dozens. However, it had to happen: Rosario Cantalupo married Rosaria Gigliello in 1873. In 1892, another Rosario Cantalupo married a different Rosaria Gigliello. I put messages in the NOTE sections of each, but there needs to be a way to warn the user not to merge these people.

Of course, if I enter a marriage record with the parents names, and then the next year the bride's sister gets married, I will have duplicate persons for the father and mother, and these need to be merged, but the merger screen does not allow for showing warning notes; and putting WARNING in a name field, such as a title or suffix, is ugly.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

In Duplicate Merge search if they are coming up as a match you can mark them "Not a Match".  There is a 20 year gap between the marriages so I can't image they have the same birth dates. With the filters you can make the birth date range smaller if you are getting matches for people this far apart in age.

If you already have the parents in your database you can be warned if the option "Check for duplicates when adding people" is checked on the Tools>Program Options>General screen. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:03 AM

If I click NOT A MATCH, does that mean it won't come up as a possible match the next time I search for duplicates?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

Correct, unless you delete the .DUP file that stores that information. You will find it in the same folder as your database.

Renee
RootsMagic