4 replies to this topic

#1 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

When a change is made to a person's name it the timeline view, it is not automatically updated in the sidebar index. I came across this while changing the spellings of the last name of each family member whose surname had been entered incorrectly. I chose to use the timeline view to make these changes so that I didn't have to bring up each person's edit screen.

After discovering this, I went into one of the individual's edit screen and confirmed that the changes did take effect. I also tried it with the given name while in the timeline view and had the same result - no change to the index.

Kari

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

The sidebar index is often not updated or fully-populated with birth date info when new people are added or other changes are made.

The best workaround is to occasionally run the File > Database Tools > Rebuild Index.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

There are actually two separate issues. One issue is that the changes really are stored in the index in the RM database but they are not shown on the index on the left side of the screen. A lot of times this can be fixed by scrolling the index up and down or switching to a different view on the side and immediately switching back to the original view. In other words, just do something that causes RM to redraw the screen. The other issue is that the data is really changed for the person in the database but is not changed in the index in the database. In this case, the only fix is to rebuild the index as described by zhangrau.

Jerry 

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:39 PM

Constantly rebuilding the index is NOT an acceptable solution to this problem, it's a cop out. When merging individuals the birth date invariably disappears from the Index sidebar causing the individual to sort to the top of that surname, forename selection and out of sequence with other possible matches.

Just because there is a hammer in the trunk of my vehicle doesn't mean it's acceptable to have to whack the engine with it every time I want to go somewhere. Sorry to be so blunt but this is a Bug!, a large number of posts on Facebook are caused by this and it needs to be formally addressed and fixed.

Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. ...

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7957 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

Confirming these are on the development list. 

Renee
RootsMagic