6 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

Is there a way to filter on pending web hints (Ancestry) in RM?

My current method is to select a person, go to the descendants view, adjust generations to 2. This will show the person, spouse, and children and show web hint status (yellow or gray bulb, or none). You can look deeper by increasing the generations.

However, if I want to quickly review an entire family line for "pending only" hints, nothing I've looked at works without scrolling thru the entire family.

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

RickL

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6083 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:54 PM

There is no feature to filter on the status of WebHints.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:13 PM

Kind of what I thought.....will just keep plodding thru   :)

Thanks

RickL

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

You can always go to the Ancestry Tree's hints on their website and see who has them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

Renee,

Yes, you can check Ancestry for pending hints, but that assumes a "perfect" sync between RM and A.Com to avoid having to go back and forth between the two platforms. Since I'm, working from the RM side, it would be nice to have a "filter" in RM to bring up only those persons with pending web hints, regardless of which other platform you are checking (FamilySearch, Ancestry, etc).

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

In general, not only is there not a feature in RM to filter on WebHints but the way WebHints work makes any such filtering impossible.

• In the case of MyHeritage and FindMyPast, the hints are not stored anywhere in RM or in MyHeritage or in FindMyPast. Rather, when a person is displayed on an RM screen, RM asks MyHeritage and/or FindMyPast if any WebHints exist for that person. When MyHeritage or FindMyPast receives the request, it calculates any possible WebHints on the fly. The only way RM could store WebHints would be to ask MyHeritage and FindMyPast about every single person in RM database and store the results, which is totally impractical.
  • In the case of FamilySearch, the hints are not stored anywhere in RM but they are stored in FamilySearch. However, the FamilySearch hints are not for you. Rather, they are in one big tree of everybody in the world and are for every user in the world. Again, RM would have to ask FamilySearch about everybody in the RM database and store the results. If your people in RM are not matched to people in FamilySearch, the situation is just as impractical as it is with MyHeritage and FindMyPast. If your people in RM are matched to people in FamilySearch, it might be slightly more practical but I think it would still be difficult. And many or most people in your RM database are probably not matched with FamilySearch.
  • In the case of ancestry, people in your tree at ancestry are matched with people in your RM database. This could potentially be a game changer for WebHints.  I don't know enough of the details of the ancestry API to know if it would let RM know about WebHints for everybody in the RM database in any sort of practical manner. It might or it might not. Even it it did, I don't think it's something that the developers should work on until RM8 is out the door and stable.

Jerry

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips.

I just thought it would be a "nice to have feature", but it does not sound practical at this time. My method of using the Descendants view and setting the generations to either two or three works pretty well to show if there are any pending hints for that family. It just does not work as well if you want to review the entire family line. I just jump from generation to generation in the line and review each family. Takes a while but is effective.

Thanks again

Rick

RickL