4 replies to this topic

#1 hlpedersen7

hlpedersen7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

Hello,

I have read other forums on here on Access Violations and have followed all the steps - scanning, checking for errors, running anti-virus/anti-malware, rebooting the computer and I just even did a complete reinstall of Roots Magic. I do have High Sierra running on my 2012 machine (and I just reinstalled the OS 2 weeks ago).  

I still am receiving an Access Violation - "Access Violation at address 010A5041 in module "RootsMagic.exe". Read of Address 000000008."

Any ideas? I am getting this error when i go to "Publish A Book" from the menu. I a have been manually adding information but have connected the tree with Family Search. I did turn off web hints before my reinstall of RM. 

Since the reinstall, I have also been receiving an error with "Invalid Pointer Operation". 

Thanks,

Heather

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7770 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

Have you done a complete uninstall / reinstall since you upgraded to High Sierra?

https://support.root...agic-on-the-Mac

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 hlpedersen7

hlpedersen7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

Have you done a complete uninstall / reinstall since you upgraded to High Sierra?

https://support.root...agic-on-the-Mac

Yes, 2 of them. One a few weeks ago and then I reinstalled the OS. Then a complete uninstall/reinstall yesterday. 

I just changed my default printer to PDFWriter and that seemed to fix the issue - no more error message. Would this be common with an Access Violation error?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7770 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

Yes, it can be a cause.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 rcollman

rcollman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

Just made a recommendation to someone to get RootsMagic.  Went to create a book to give a demonstration of RootsMagic power and got the pointer error and access violation error to the rootsmagic.exe file.  I just updated to 7.5.6.

Solution for me was to check my default printer.  Surprise, it did not have any paper, was turned of, and thus was off line (did Windows 10 do another sneaky update?).  Put paper in my trusty HP2300, turned it back on.  Opened the lid and shut it.  Windows 10 and the printer re-established harmony.  Only then did RootsMagic allow me to create a book.  

CHECK YOUR DEFAULT PRINTER IN YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM. I call this a bug, if RootsMagic can not find an active printer, I still should be able to create a report.  RM should tell me I do not have an available printer WHEN i WANT TO PRINT IT.  Not kick me out with some dumb pointer error before I start.  

I have been using RM since 1.0 and the DOS version before it.  First time I have ever got this kind of very scary error.   Thought the RM database was corrupted and years of research lost.  So happy RM is way more stable than my fears.  

This forum did give me the clue I needed.  A new user might be more frustrated.

Thanks for the posts