3 replies to this topic

#1 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

I used to be a user of Family Historian, but I am now also trying to jump to RootsMagic because of its ability to sync my family trees.

I have noticed on issue. When we start using FamilySearch Tree we define the language to be use. In my case Portuguese.

So all dates are in Portuguese format.

When I ask to download information from FamilySearch into RootsMagic my dates keep their Portuguese format.

Eg. "Aproximadamente 1960" (equals to About 1960); "26 Dezembro 1980" (equals to 26 Dec 1980).

It looks like RootsMagic does not recognize these multiple dates formats. This leads to two issues at least:

1) RootsMagic shows all my dates as wrong (not even ordered in sequence).

2) When it compares dates among RootsMagic and FamilySearch in the comparison window, it shows these different format dates as they were not the same. 

When they are in fact the same just in different languages...

How to fix that?

Thanks!

Pedro 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7654 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

RM is currently only available in English that is why the dates are only recognized as that. It would need to be translated in the other languages to recognize dates in that format. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

Hi Renee, thanks for commenting.

I do understand RM is by now only available in English (and that is said). But I believe it would not be a great change to allow dates to be recognized base on the windows system used.

Family Historian does that somehow. They are also only in English by now (also said). But they can work with any date format. 

Maybe RM could import the standard date in English from Family Search Tree instead of the recorded date. I do not know.. something to think about...

Well, some correction must take please in the future. It is very time consuming to keep changing every date I entered and import or export to FS...

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7654 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

FamilySearch has controls on language settings. I not sure how they have the date recorded that you are using. Are you using English as your setting there? Just wondering how language settings there effect RM or if its stays as entered on FamilySearch.

Renee
RootsMagic