• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sweetpea

sweetpea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:51 PM

First of all let me say the videos you have are very helpful. Answered a lot of questions and lots of help to use this software.  Thank you for that!!!

Let me start by explaining that I am wanting to make a personal history AND I wish to add many, many photos from many, many years. You get the picture. Personal Historian is not necessarily the easiest to layout so many photos and the text in some sort of scrapbook-beautiful fashion. In fact it's very limiting in the ability to do both.  Yet it has that great index info. Need it to do both.  (Hint)

On to the questions!   

• Are photos I add to my book embedded or linked? As I understand it all, if photos are linked and I change a file name or move a file... that link will be broken.  Embedded means a bigger file.  
  • The other question is regarding the file resolution. In order to print the photos and have them look good, the resolution needs to be at 300 dpi.  If I start with a printable resolution (300 dpi photo), does your program reduce the resolution or will photos still be high quality for printing?
  • Will you be updating the ability to have more options for the layouts?
  • Background colors?
  • Columns?
  • Adding text boxes with options?
  • Better layout options? 
  • Seeing more on the composer screen compared actually going to be printed?  Just wondering... with scrapbooking being so popular and the family history so popular it would be great to have both in one program. 

Thank you!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

The photos will be embedded. For this reason you need to make sure they are as small as possible size wise. If you have too many or very large media embedded it can make generating the book difficult when there are not enough computer resources. If you break up the number of photos across several stories it helps.

RootsMagic does not reduce the resolution. You won't need 300 dpi when printing a book. You need that only for your personal archive of the media. So look for lower resolutions.

The others on the list have not been announced yet for PH3. 

Renee
RootsMagic