13 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

How come the 2 marriages in the RM person don't match at all to the marriages in FS? The dates are the same (so should be green) and the places are close (so should be yellow). But for some reason they're not even on the same line as each other. Why?

Capture11.JPG

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

How come the 2 marriages in the RM person don't match at all to the marriages in FS? The dates are the same (so should be green) and the places are close (so should be yellow). But for some reason they're not even on the same line as each other. Why?

Because none of the Spouse names match ?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:14 AM

I guess that could be it, but it seems an unreasonable objection.

I should have clipped more of the screen to show this but .....

I have matched Johanna Marie Pedersdatter (537) to Johanne Marie Pedersdatter Bruun (KN93-PZF)

and Anna Marie Thomsen (1058) to Ane Marie Thomasdr (LYCP-YGV)

and therefore I figured that if they were matched then the marriage applied to both of them indistinguishably.

#4 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Another example ... and here the spouse's names match exactly, and the RM and FS person are matched. Date is the same and the person is the same.

The location is slightly different, but that usually gets the background showing yellow and doesn't prevent the two events from being on the same line in this display.

Capture12.JPG

#5 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

There is no match! Spelling is different in the place.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

There is no match! Spelling is different in the place.

*THIS*

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

Then what do the different colours mean? I thought green means identical and yellow means close but not identical, and white means not matching.

Each fact has 3 parts - the date, the place and the spouse's name. In the example I am showing the date is identical and the spouse is identical. The place is close but not identical - starts with "Manti, San" and the rest is similar (look at the 2nd possible match on the FS side).

Those two should be lined up beside each other with the date in green and the place/person in yellow. What am I missing?

I have another match that works right. It's a Christening and the date is identical (green) and the place is close but different (yellow). The two almost matching places are: "Tornby, Vennebjerg, Hjørring, Denmark" and "Tornby,Hjorring,Denmark" which are matched for "Tornby," only and some "close enough" logic is satisdfied with the rest of it. Why not "close but different (yellow)" for this marriage?

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

Then what do the different colours mean? I thought green means identical and yellow means close but not identical, and white means not matching.

Green = matching
Yellow = close
White = no match

IDENTICAL = all green on both sides with no yellow or white

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

Green = matching
Yellow = close
White = no match

IDENTICAL = all green on both sides with no yellow or white

Agreed. That's what I've been saying. That's what I have been expecting this marriage to look like.

So what does all white mean? It seems to mean that they are nothing at all even close. But the date and the person are exactly the same and the place is close.

I still don't know why the marriage does not appear aligned and is 100% white.

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

But the date and the person are exactly the same and the place is close.

In simple terms, close does not count in horseshoes, hand grenades, nor Rootsmagic ! It never does anything via assumption (ie. being close) That's why you are having to go through this reconciliation process to effectively merge two different individuals (in Rootsmagic's determination).
They are considered two different people (by RM) if any white (or yellow) exists anywhere. Now, pause and re-read that.

I still don't know why the marriage does not appear aligned and is 100% white.
That's what I have been expecting this marriage to look like.

No, you've been expecting them to align because they're a matching fact type (and even a matching Spouse) ...BUT with "close" event Place names. Now go back and look at the Place names for that Marriage fact. What color are they? Not green, right, they're white? And what does white equal? Referring again to the RM approach to determination - they are still two different individuals with same name (and even spouse) BUT different marriage Places. This applies to all the other fact types also ...see Birth, Death, Burial for existing white(ness). The vertical ordering of fact types underneath (and within) each section (Vital, Other, and Family) is merely a pre-formatted order, not for purposes of alignment (per se).

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

Got it. And your description misses the fact that the spouse AND the date are identical. But now re-read the following that I wrote in an earlier post:

• I have another match that works right. It's a Christening and the date is identical (green) and the place is close but different (yellow). The two almost matching places are: "Tornby, Vennebjerg, Hjørring, Denmark" and "Tornby,Hjorring,Denmark" which are matched for "Tornby," only and some "close enough" logic is satisfied with the rest of it. Why not "close but different (yellow)" for this marriage where the place starts with "Manti, San" and the rest is different?

In the Christening, the places are close and coloured yellow. In the marriage record the places are close but coloured white. I get that white means not close enough so they're considered completely different and don't get aligned. But in the Christening they were close enough that it wasn't treated as a different Chr event and they appeared aligned. My point is that it should not be white in the Mar record comparison. I don't see how any algorithm (no assumptions required) makes that distinguishing difference. It is more likely that either 

a) a different algo is used for Chr and Mar records

B) the algo result is misinterpreted by the Mar record in the FS Person Tools comparison

Your explanations of the meaning of the colours matches mine, but I have no reason for the Mar record to be ALL white.

#12 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

Got it. And your description misses the fact that the spouse AND the date are identical. But now re-read the following that I wrote in an earlier post:

(yellow = close) is a "generalized" definition asserted by us (you and me)

Rootsmagic is actually merely highlighting "the difference" in your Death facts (initial graphic of 1st post) in yellow... AS OPPOSED to your second graphic's marriage fact Place names ( none of which match and are colored white or maybe considered "not colored" ;-) ) which are "explicitly" considered two different places.

There's no AI (artificial intelligence) to the algorithm to determine "closely spelled" fields. It either matches exactly or it doesn't (Note: exception is LDS-associated numbering within FamilySearch Person pane - it's either ignored or somewhat discounted)

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#13 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

I wasn't talking about that DEA event, but I have no trouble with it, and I don't find it inconsistent in any way.

It is an example of working as I expected, and the CHR I described is also working as expected.

The MAR is NOT working as expected because it has coloured the place detail differently than the DEA and CHR did.

That's all I've been saying since the start and no responses to this post have explained why the different colouring is correct.

If you cannot explain it, then let's wait for someone who can.

#14 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

If you cannot explain it, then let's wait for someone who can.

Press F1 key or click Help at the top menu.
Choose Search tab and enter this term:

Copying info between RootsMagic and FamilySearch

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N