3 replies to this topic

#1 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

I'm sure that this request has been made before, but I couldn't find it...

I am in the process of merging together two files, but I'm finding as I merge two people together that unless the facts match perfectly word for word, it duplicates the fact. Since there is no way to merge the facts I either have to edit the facts before merging the people or merge the people then copy/paste the sources to the fact I want to keep before deleting the duplicate. It would be nice to have a merge facts feature in the person edit screen.

I tried doing this using the Compare files but if the names were different in any way then people wouldn't get matched and I didn't see anyway to select the person to be matched so I ended up importing the file from a GEDCOM.

Another feature that would be extremely helpful is the ability to mass change fact types. For example, in the merging process I am finding both Military and Military Service fact types; Illness and Medical; etc. Unfortunately running reports and manually changing these is going to be quite time consuming.

Kari

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

This is another request as old as the hills and well known by Rootsmagic developers. As you have stated the smallest difference results in duplication even USA on one and U.S.A in the place of another, this was mentioned by me only yesterday on the thread below;

http://forums.rootsm...change-request/

I do a lot of reconciliation and my mention yesterday was that even when same events using the same date are duplicated they do not necessarily group together on screen. A utility within Rootsmagic to help manage this common occurance is very much desired by many and we can only hope it becomes a reality in the next version.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:13 AM

Even if the sources are different it will not merge them. It should at minimum auto merge when the date/place is exactly the same and combine the sources. 

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

Even if the sources are different it will not merge them. It should at minimum auto merge when the date/place is exactly the same and combine the sources. 

I agree, your logic is perfectly sound.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Facts, Merge