• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zlatarigirl

zlatarigirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

I would like to make a request for a feature - Story.  I would like this feature for every person in a tree on their profile.  Lots of us have individuel stories of peoples lives ( I have quite a few of them).  Having the choice of being able to do this instead of having to create a book would be a good feature.  To be able to add a story of a ancestor including images with the ability to text wrap around the images would be a great feature to have.  It would mean having everything in one place, instead of having all the hastle of two software programs and then having to try and link the stories to the people.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:45 AM

The Narritive report incorporates Notes both on facts and individuals although achieving the desired report output is a bit tricky without editing. A little preview of how each fact sentence will look shows in the bottom right hand corner of the Edit Person screen and sentence templates can be adjusted to suit.

I have placed 2 wishes in the past to make this easier to get the desired output for each individual in focus which I believe have been logged by Rootsmagic.

1. Show how follow on Notes will appear in the preview window, bottom right of the Edit person screen.

2. Add a Preview button to the Edit person screen which would display how the full Narrative Report for that individual will look.

Rootsmagic has no control over how users enter information but I believe these two enhancements would help and encourage correct formatting at the time of entry.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

The Narrative Report would actually work quite well for this, but you can't do this for single individual without getting family facts and, at the very least, the spouse's facts, forcing you to edit the report in another program. I would love to have the ability to print the report for just a single person (with or without spouse/family info). Being able to run a narrative report for a single family without all of the individual facts (save perhaps each individual's birth and death) would be a blessing, too.

Of course I realize the same data can be extracted in the Individual Summary and Family Group Sheet, but it's not in narrative form and personally it bugs me that the notes are put at the end of the reports, almost like they are afterthoughts, instead of immediately following their associate fact. Unfortunately, all genealogy programs I've used do this.

Kari

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7769 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

Ancestor Narrative report with 0 generations will get just that person with no family facts, spouse, children or parents.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

Ancestor Narrative report with 0 generations will get just that person with no family facts, spouse, children or parents.

This is great. Thanks, Renne. Didn't think this would work since the system keeps wouldn't allow a "0" entry, but it did the job.

Still wish there was a narrative for the family, though.

Kari