8 replies to this topic

#1 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:18 PM

Sources in RootSMagic are for events/facts in general, not for each fact.

An individual’s record is made up a many details; names, dates, locations, evidence/facts. In other programs I have used you can tie a source to the facts themselves. For example in a birth event there could be a fact about the State, Date, Year. In most programs this is split up into Place, Date, Event. It would be nice to tie sources like that also in RootsMagic. 

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:14 AM

I'm not sure I understand the request. RM can have a source for birth, a different source for death, a different source for marriage, etc. It cannot have a source that is specific to birth date and a different source that is specific to birth place. Is that what you are talking about?

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

Until proven I believe many users may have multiple events with different sources pointing to the information available, once proved this is distilled, e.g

Birth 1900, Pennsylvania - Source#1

Birth Sept 1900 Wayne, Pennsylvania - Source#2

Eventually becoming Birth 15 Sept 1900, Lookout, Wayne, Pennsylvania - Source Birth Registration

Anything can be programmed but different sourcing for Date and Place cannot be supported by Gedcom within the one event.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

Anything can be programmed but different sourcing for Date and Place cannot be supported by Gedcom within the one event.

That's what I was leading up to. I often have one source for a Date for an event and different source for a Place for the same event. RM can only associate a source with an event as a whole, and it might be nice for RM to be more specific. But it's hard to see how to make that work in the world of GEDCOM.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8452 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

I add to the Research Notes what specific information the source is related to on the fact. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

RootsMagic already is horrible on it's GEDCOM output. Other programs do what I am requesting however I think they use their own gedcom values for it. 

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

I am a source lumper (for example, combining all citations to the 1930 census into a single Master Source "1930 US census"). That would be in contrast to an extreme source splitter that creates a separate Master Source for each census page or family group. I currently have 22,905 citations for my Master Source "1930 US census". I estimate that converting that lumped source to an extreme-split source would produce 1,000 to 2,000 additional Master Sources (and no fewer citations) to manage. And that's only one lumped Master Source.

I have many Birth facts with multiple citations, that collectively corroborate what I have listed in the the Edit Person screen. Where citations vary in their support of the Birth fact, I use the Fact Note to provide some clarifying explanations.

It seems that anzenketh would like to treat the Birth Fact as multiple facts, each separately sourced and cited. Whew !!!

A recent RM Publisher Book that I prepared for a niece-in-law contains:

- 411 total pages

- 33 pages of citation endnotes

- 19 pages of bibliography

- 35 pages of indices (place and name)

I wonder how much longer that book would be using anzenketh's scheme along with extreme-split sources?

#8 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

I am curious as to what the other programs are that allow sourcing of the individual components of an "event'. I have, at the very least, experimented with several different programs (FTM, Ancestral Quest, Legacy, MyHeritage FTB, Gramps, etc) and don't remember this option in any of them.

Kari

#9 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:32 AM

I am curious as to what the other programs are that allow sourcing of the individual components of an "event'. I have, at the very least, experimented with several different programs (FTM, Ancestral Quest, Legacy, MyHeritage FTB, Gramps, etc) and don't remember this option in any of them.

It is not an option in Reunion, but it is a topic that comes up on their forum from people who know it from other programs.