• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Rianhard

Tom Rianhard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

I have a new iPad. I have installed the RM app. I have copied a database file to iCloud/iDrive on my Surface 3. I can see the database on my iPad, but as you know, RM doesn't see it on iDrive. What files/folders should I define in the iPad file system, and then copy the database to, so that the RM app can see and load the database.

Thanks

Tom Rianhard

P.S. What 'Topic Tags'? I don't see any to refer to.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

I'm assuming you have a Mac computer too. It's best to use Dropbox. Have the RM App look for the database on Dropbox and it will create the Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic folder needed to save the database file in. Once you have the database file there the RM App will use it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:42 PM

I don't use the RM app, although I have a couple Android devices that might support it.

I'm wondering, though, whether it makes any difference at all if a file is placed into the Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic folder by a Dropbox app or by a user using a file management app? It really shouldn't matter, right?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:26 AM

It does not matter what process places a file in a Dropbox synced folder. Dropbox syncs it to the corresponding folder on its server and thence to all synced devices.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

Sometimes people have an issue if they create the Apps\RootsMagic inside of their Dropbox folder by themselves  It's best to have the RM App do it if you cannot use File>Save to Dropbox for Apps in RM. Once the folder is created you can save to the folder any way you wish. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Tom Rianhard

Tom Rianhard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

Apologies, and my bad! I left out a part of the issue. I already use OneDrive, Box and, now, iCloud/iDrive. I hoped to find a way not to get into another cloud storage service. I would also like to share some of my trees with others, and I don't know their tolerance for using cloud storage, I wanted to try to devise a way to avoid Dropbox. Many of my sharees would use 'Apple' devices; hence my focus on iCloud/iDrive, which shows up automagically! ( synergy ? )

Thanks, everyone, for responding.

Tom

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:16 PM

I think the RM iOS and Android apps are hard-coded to work with Dropbox. You don't have a choice.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

iOS users can also use iTunes

How do I copy my data to my device using iTunes (iOS only)?
Make sure you are running the current version of iTunes
Plug your device into your computer
Select your device at the top of iTunes
Select the Apps Tab at the top of iTunes
Select the RootsMagic app in the list of apps under "File Sharing" (you may need to scroll down to see it)
Click the "Add..." button and navigate to the file on your computer
Hit the "Sync" button to sync your device
The file should now show up under the "On Device" tab in the RootsMagic app
Select the database from the "On Device" list (in the "Files" area of the app) and you are now ready to use the RootsMagic app.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Tom Rianhard

Tom Rianhard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

Renee, thanks for your help! Perhaps our friends at Apple have changed the iTunes app?

On my MS Surface 3 Pro laptop, running W/10 with auto-update, I installed iTunes ( v12.7.3.46 ) on Friday, 2/23/2018. There were no previous instances of iTunes on this computer (received as a gift last October).

In this iTunes app, after plugging the iPad, there is no place to select a device at the top, and no place to select an Apps tab at the top either. Under the header bar with the Apple logo at the top, there is a menu bar with 'File Edit Song ..... Help' on it. Under that standard menu bar, there is what appears to be an Apple menu bar offering 'Library  For You  Browse  Radio  Store" with a dropdown menu selector on the left for other stuff. Below the Apple menu bar, there is a column giving options for the selections in the above dropdown menu. With the iPad plugged in, the lefthand column displays an device entry for the iPad, but no Apps option.

I have spent some time reviewing all the entries in the many menu selections, and can't find any Apps offering. Is there an Apple guru available?

Thanks

#10 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Renee, thanks for your help! Perhaps our friends at Apple have changed the iTunes app?
On my MS Surface 3 Pro laptop, running W/10 with auto-update, I installed iTunes ( v12.7.3.46 ) on Friday, 2/23/2018. There were no previous instances of iTunes on this computer (received as a gift last October).

In this iTunes app, after plugging the iPad, there is no place to select a device at the top, and no place to select an Apps tab at the top either. Under the header bar with the Apple logo at the top, there is a menu bar with 'File Edit Song ..... Help' on it. Under that standard menu bar, there is what appears to be an Apple menu bar offering 'Library  For You  Browse  Radio  Store" with a dropdown menu selector on the left for other stuff. Below the Apple menu bar, there is a column giving options for the selections in the above dropdown menu. With the iPad plugged in, the lefthand column displays an device entry for the iPad, but no Apps option.

I have spent some time reviewing all the entries in the many menu selections, and can't find any Apps offering. Is there an Apple guru available?
Thanks

iTunes no longer supports apps on iOS devices - the packaging of apps has changed such that the versions downloaded are specific to the device and it no longer made sense to have such a subset stored in iTunes as it would not necessarily have the complete app to download to another device. They were stored but would never be used to restore to an iOS device, and were wasting significant amounts of disk storage.

Looking at iTunes on a Mac, there is an icon on the “toolbar” that, when selected, lists the connected (by WiFi or cable) iOS devices. If you select one of those devices, there are a number of panels that can be displayed, starting with Summary, Music, Films, ..... and lastly File Sharing. It is the File Sharing panel that you need. It lists all the apps for which you can use iTunes to transfer files to the iOS device, and RootsMagic is one of them. Select RM from the list and then add the appropriate file and it will be transferred to the iOS device.

#11 Tom Rianhard

Tom Rianhard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

Thank you, J.P.! I have just looked at iTunes on my new Surface laptop and an 5 years old Dell laptop, Both running Windows 10, with updates, and neither Windows compatible iTunes app shows a toolbar and no mention of File Sharing. The closest thing that I see is 'Home Sharing' about music, videos and such. The whole iTunes app is focused on music, etc.

This does seem like an impediment to RootsMagic database sharing through attaching iOS devices to PCs with iTunes.

Is there any sign of file sharing using more varied cloud based services?

#12 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:19 AM

Thank you, J.P.! I have just looked at iTunes on my new Surface laptop and an 5 years old Dell laptop, Both running Windows 10, with updates, and neither Windows compatible iTunes app shows a toolbar and no mention of File Sharing. The closest thing that I see is 'Home Sharing' about music, videos and such. The whole iTunes app is focused on music, etc.
This does seem like an impediment to RootsMagic database sharing through attaching iOS devices to PCs with iTunes.

Is there any sign of file sharing using more varied cloud based services?

All I can suggest is to plug your device into the PC using a cable and then root around in iTunes until you can find some evidence within iTunes of the device being connected. Then select that evidence and see if you can display a number of panels about the device, with the Summary panel showing an overall status and the iOS software level. If you can find that, then you should also be able to see a File Sharing tab. That is what you need - IF it exists on the PC version. This is nothing to do with Home Sharing, which is about sharing music and films, etc, across your various devices.

#13 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:28 AM

Dont know if this helps - dated December 17 so reasonably recent.

https://support.appl...48?locale=en_US

#14 Tom Rianhard

Tom Rianhard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

Thanks, J P, for your research. My big problem is that with the version of iTunes installed on my Surface PC, there is no 'Device' button or option available. All the info that I provided in post # 9 above still applies. All the focus is on media; none on apps.

This is frustrating!

#15 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

Thanks, J P, for your research. My big problem is that with the version of iTunes installed on my Surface PC, there is no 'Device' button or option available. All the info that I provided in post # 9 above still applies. All the focus is on media; none on apps.

This is frustrating!

Have you actually plugged in the iPad to the PC? The icon that appears on the Mac only appeared once I connected the iPad. To recognise a device, iTunes needs it to be physically connected the first time, but then is happy to try to find it by WiFi (at least until, I think, a new version of iTunes is installed, when in my experience it seems to forget the devices it previously knew about).

#16 Tom Rianhard

Tom Rianhard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

Yes, I have plugged in the iPad multiple times. The iTunes app shows three small headings in the left column, 'Library',  'Devices' and 'Music Playlists; under 'Devices', my iTunes shows a header for the iPad and under that a list of entries vertically, as follows: 'Music Movies TV Shows Books Audiobooks Tones Purchased'. There is no entry or icon for File Sharing. I have looked through all of, well, most of, the options for all the items on the toolbar at the top of iTunes, and didn't find anything that even implied 'File Sharing'

One additional fact; I installed RootsMagic directly to the iPad from the App Store without going through iTunes, either on my PC or on the iPad.

Again, J P, thanks for your patience and perseverance!

#17 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:51 PM

Yes, I have plugged in the iPad multiple times. The iTunes app shows three small headings in the left column, 'Library',  'Devices' and 'Music Playlists; under 'Devices', my iTunes shows a header for the iPad and under that a list of entries vertically, as follows: 'Music Movies TV Shows Books Audiobooks Tones Purchased'. There is no entry or icon for File Sharing. I have looked through all of, well, most of, the options for all the items on the toolbar at the top of iTunes, and didn't find anything that even implied 'File Sharing'

One additional fact; I installed RootsMagic directly to the iPad from the App Store without going through iTunes, either on my PC or on the iPad.

Again, J P, thanks for your patience and perseverance!

I see exactly the same items in the left hand column in the Mac version. However at the top there is a selection pull-down with options Music, Films, TV Programs, Podcasts and Audiobooks. To the right of that selection field is a small icon that looks a bit like an iPhone. Selecting that, I get a list of devices connected, and if I select one of those I get a different set of headings in the left hand column that just apply to that device. This introduces some additional headings - I see Summary, Music, Films, TV Programmes, Books, Audiobooks, Photos, Info and File Sharing. IF you can find it, the last one is what you need.

#18 Tom Rianhard

Tom Rianhard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:53 AM

BINGO!!

J P, that's just the correct approach. Thanks again for your patience. It seems to me that Apple is trying to obscure services other than music, videos, etc.

Now back to file sharing. :D 

#19 Tom Rianhard

Tom Rianhard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

Please note: the woods are a little deeper than they first seem!

On the iPad side, it was necessary to force RM to go have another look around. I had to select the Dropbox button, get rid of that function, and then select the 'On Device' button, in order that RM would find the two databases that I had 'synced'.

Is there a different way to urge RM to reset its device/database view?

#20 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

Please note: the woods are a little deeper than they first seem!

On the iPad side, it was necessary to force RM to go have another look around. I had to select the Dropbox button, get rid of that function, and then select the 'On Device' button, in order that RM would find the two databases that I had 'synced'.

Is there a different way to urge RM to reset its device/database view?

I suspect not. I hadn’t explored this aspect but I now see what you see.

Perhaps if one kills the app and then “opens” it again then it would see the new file without your technique, but that seems more tedious. Clearly RM needs a reason to go and look for the currently available files.