8 replies to this topic

#1 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:45 AM

RM needs an independent Cause of Death fact.  CAUS has been a standard GEDCOM tag for decades.  

It seems RM relegates cause of death to the description field of death which doesn't really work. For starters, I note other information there.  More importantly, cause of death needs to be its own fact for its own reasons. If one is doing genetic genealogy or medical family profiles, then cause of death needs to be easily identified and simply noted, not parsed out of another fact's description field and distilled from other information there.

https://www.tamurajo...EDCOMTags.xhtml

#2 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

Is there a reason why a custom fact for cause of death would not work?

#3 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

I'm new-ish to RM and don't know.  I've created custom facts that were missing in RM, but none of them migrated properly--mostly, I think, because in creating a custom fact in RM one can't even assign it a GEDCOM tag so it's kinda meaningless.  And RM seems to move this independent fact to the death description field even with a cause of death custom field, so there's no point.

#4 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

I have a database of 6500 people in Reunion I want to migrate over to RM without losing decades of work.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

I'm new-ish to RM and don't know.  I've created custom facts that were missing in RM, but none of them migrated properly--mostly, I think, because in creating a custom fact in RM one can't even assign it a GEDCOM tag so it's kinda meaningless.  And RM seems to move this independent fact to the death description field even with a cause of death custom field, so there's no point.

I accept it may not be standard but I like the way the description field holds the cause to the death fact for reporting, sentencing etc. I also understand your desire to analyze on particular data so I would also suggest a custom fact.

I have a small number of custom facts mainly for internal research use and I can inform you RM custom facts use the EVEN tag in gedcom.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

I accept it may not be standard but I like the way the description field holds the cause to the death fact for reporting, sentencing etc. I also understand your desire to analyze on particular data so I would also suggest a custom fact.

I have a small number of custom facts mainly for internal research use and I can inform you RM custom facts use the EVEN tag in gedcom.

Using "EVEN" tag does nothing for importing a GEDCOM file into RM.  Again, no sense creating a custom CAUS Fact when RM ignores it and puts it where it isn't supposed to go.

On another note, the ability for RM to distinguish between events (EVEN) and facts would be helpful.

#7 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Like Vyger I have always used the description field of the death fact for cause of death, but I understand this is a personal preference and agree no program should assume that a user wants to merge any facts. I would also caution RM when moving anything to the description field in the Death fact (also goes for birth, baptism, etc.)... many genealogy programs don't accept descriptions for "vital" facts. They are either moved to the notes or completely ignored/lost during the GEDCOM import process.

Kari

#8 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

I have a GEDCOM with a *standard* GEDCOM tag of CAUS.  RM does not import it as a "custom" fact even when I have created a custom fact for it.  It merges the data in the description field where I put other information rending the standard fact cause of death unusable.

RM imports (via Heredis at least) non-GEDCOM standard facts as custom facts without arbitrarily merging them with the description field of a different fact.

#9 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

CAUS is associated with an event or fact, not a standalone fact. It's part of event/fact details. If RM isn't importing it then I would agree it's a bug, but it's possible that Reunion isn't mapping it properly on the export. Looking at my copy of Reunion (12) it looks like it's not one of it's default fields so it may need to be added. 

You might want to grab a copy of GEDitCOM II to view (and potentially alter) the exported GEDCOM file. It's got a 14 day trail.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CAUS, Cause of death, death