4 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

When one of my 2nd great-grandfathers' parents both died, he was taken in and raised by an aunt and uncle. He is attached to that family by a "Foster" relationship. If I run the Relationship Calculator or Relationship Chart functions between me and the descendants of the Foster parents, it shows the Foster parents as the common ancestors. 

The Relationship Chart and Calculator functions should be changed so that following Foster and Adopted relationships are optional and not required. There are some times that you are interested in only the blood relationships. 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

Try displaying the parents you want to be preferred in the Family View for them before using these features. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

Try displaying the parents you want to be preferred in the Family View for them before using these features. 

I did that but it didn't make any difference. Does it work differently in RM7 than RM6?

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

To me, this seems to be just another example of RM ignoring the contents of dropdowns to define relationships. Another is the well-known inability to use the Alternate Name type dropdown to modify the sentence.

I think it is important to record birth, adoptive and foster relationships. These relationships tend to be important is describing a family's history. Unfortunately, RM has a rather weak "method" of using the last-displayed relationship to dictate how the next report will work.

When generating an Ancestor report (narrative or chart), I would like to be able to specify in the report parameters whether to follow birth, adoptive, etc. relationships. That should allow me to include two chapters in a Publisher Book -- one to follow birth relationships, and one to follow adoptive relationships. Currently, this dual-relationship reporting is impossible.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

Children - Set Lineage to Birth provides a means to globally set the lineage in the Main Views and in reports to birth parents. RM6 and 7 are no different in that respect. I don't recall if it affects the Relationship Calculator and Chart but I thought it would. Another feature request deep in the Wish List silo.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.