5 replies to this topic

#1 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:03 AM

I have FamilySearch Central window open.

In the What’s New box, I click on the hyperlink ?? of your people.

I select someone from the My RootsMagic People list on the left

I click on the tree to the left of the children in the My FamilySearch Person side.

The What do you want to do with this fact window pops up.

I have add to RootsMagic (as a child to Father name and ID and Mother name and ID) selected

I click OK.

Actual Results: The child’s name is not displayed in the My RootsMagic Person side. It appears that the child has not been copied but it was added. 

Expected Results: I would like to see the name appear in the My RootsMagic Person side but a different color letting me think it has been copied.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

Sounds you like got a phantom child. Go to File>Database Tools and run all options in consecutive order after a fresh restart of RootsMagic. It's actually the "Clean Phantom Records" tool that you need, but it's good to run all of them once in a while. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

No, not a phantom child at all. It was correctly added to RM but the left side of the window simply does not update. I see that ALL the time. If you're adding a wife and a few kids, do them first and THEN add the marriage date and it all updates OK. Or edit the RM person, make some change and save it. When you go back, the comparisons windows update and re-sort themselves and the child is there.

#4 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Thank you GlenB for your input.

I ran the 3 database tools a couple times prior to encountering the problem the last time because my database is large. The application does not populate when going from ancestry to RM (right to left). I have noticed that when I go from RM to Ancestry (left to right) it seems to work most of the time.

Yeah, i found that if I tried to add the Marriage date BEFORE I entered at least one spouse, the marriage date was deleted in Ancestry.  I would expect a popup saying there is no spouse or ask you if you wanted to add a spouse.  If the Marriage date was placed below the spouse, it would happen a lot less also.

#5 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

I haven't tried any of this with Ancestry, only with Family Search, but the behaviour seems the same .... RM side does NOT update after any children are added.

As for the marriage, I think the current behaviour is correct. If you add a Marriage event and there is no spouse, then the only way that event could happen is if it automagically created a non-person and called that the spouse in the marriage, and you don't want that. In the FS comparison when I click on a FS marriage event but do not have a spouse yet, the popup window says loudly in red that this will delete the FS marriage event. I mean, that's the only thing it could do if you don't want the non-person spouse, right? So get over it, get used to it, I think it is reasonable - just add the spouse first.

#6 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:43 AM

Hey - here's an idea that we can submit to the Wish List with regard to the lack of updating ....

Instead of making it always update after each change - which could add some delay and unnecessary processing - why not leave the behaviour as it is BUT add a button at the top beside the "My RootsMagic Person" title that says "Update", and it will cause a refetch of the info from RM and a realignment of that info with the FS person.