• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelSD

MichaelSD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

I think it's time RootsMagic got on the GedXML bandwagon. This would at least create some kind of REAL GEDCOM standard instead of the various GEDCOM formats that are incompatible with other genealogy programs. RootsMagic created a lot of invalid tags with multi-media sections of the output and is not compatible with Unicode characters. You don't find this out until you BUY the program, so if there's a way to get my money back, I'd like to know. mad.gif

#2 Guest_craigg_*

Guest_craigg_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

What programs current produce or import a gedXML file? What group has standardized it? What are its advantages over a GEDCOM file?
I think if I am not mistaken that the problems that arise in the use of GEDCOMs is because each program adds its own "enhancements" or do not exactly forllow the published standard. From what I've seen ROOTSMAGIC follows the standard in what it produces, although it hasn't implemnted all GEDCOM TAGS. It also has made allowances for the idosyncarcies of the GEDCOMs that other programs produce.
Let us know why we should be in favor of making a change.

#3 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (MichaelSD @ May 14 2005, 07:27 PM)
so if there's a way to get my money back, I'd like to know.

Just return the program and ask for your money back.

RootsMagician

#4 Guest_Bill Barson_*

Guest_Bill Barson_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:44 PM

And thats all the response you have about your program, Bruce? The original poster had three distinct comments, all of which deserve a response fro you.

I think it's time RootsMagic got on the GedXML bandwagon.

RootsMagic created a lot of invalid tags with multi-media sections of the output

...is not compatible with Unicode characters.

#5 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Bill Barson @ May 15 2005, 08:44 PM)
And thats all the response you have about your program, Bruce?  The original poster had three distinct comments, all of which deserve a response fro you.

I think it's time RootsMagic got on the GedXML bandwagon.

RootsMagic created a lot of invalid tags with multi-media sections of the output

...is not compatible with Unicode characters.

Since he had already requested a refund by email (and here), I figured that was the question he wanted answered.

OK...

1. GEDXML is just a draft, and no program that I know of uses it. The "problem" people seem to have with GEDCOM was that everyone was writing to a "draft" instead of waiting for the official version.

2. Tags are not invalid if they have an underscore in front of them, thus making them "user defined". If RootsMagic exports *true* invalid tags, please let us know what they are and what context they appear to be exported.

3. True. RootsMagic does not support UNICODE currently.
RootsMagician

#6 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:15 PM

Since GedXML isn't a completed or formally accepted standard in the genealogy community, how would it help the situation of 'incompatible formats' if RootsMagic were to support an unfinished standard that nobody else apparently uses? It doesn't make sense to complain about RootsMagic supporting an incompatible Gedcom standard and then use that complaint as the basis for why RootsMagic should get on the Gedxml bandwagon and support a format that no other program even uses. Wouldn't that only make the incompability situation even worse?

I'm guessing the free RootsMagic demo or a simple post in this message board must not be sufficient means to get answers to the questions he had since he said said he had to buy the program before finding out info.

#7 willemgrooters

willemgrooters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:48 AM

As long as GEDXML isn't final, it _should_ not be used. That's probably the reason why no-one uses it at the moment. So just wait ;-(
On the issue of "private" tags: I ran into some from other private tags of other programs and am therefore missing information in my database. It would be a nice idea to have a list of private tags, telling me what type of data it is. Not just Rootsmagic, but other programs as well. Nasty thing in this: not all are mainained any more - or improperly.
And more: Could Rootsmagic put unsupported tags into a "NOTE" or in some special type of data ("OTHER") - tag + data? In that case, this info would be included in the database. At present, I just get a listing of unrecognized tags and have to check this list against the GEDCOM file where it came from. Even better: name the file after the original GEDCOM file, it's date and issuer, or add new data to it (cleary specifying a new load). Curently, if several databases are loaded, I will loose all listings before the last.