• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 allencoleman46

allencoleman46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:01 PM

Is there a website or other source where I can go to see many multiple examples of correct source citations in order to get help me determine what data is needed to complete the citation templates in RootsMagic?

-  For example, I would like to see for a birth certificate whether the "Certificate Date" field in the "Source Details" of the "Vital Records (state, certificates)" should contain a) the date the certificate was issued to the holder, B) the date signed by the doctor, mother, nurse supervisor, etc. or c) the date of birth of the person being documented.

-  Another example, I would like to see for a birth certificate whether the "ID of person(s)" field in the "Source Details" of the "Vital Records(state, certificates)" should contain a) the name of the attendant, B) the local registrar who signed the certificate or c) the name of the person being documented.

I have looked through the main sources of Evidence Explained, Evidence! and Cite Your Sources but these references have usually only one example which makes it difficult to determine the answers to questions like my two above.  If I had a place to see multiple examples of the original sources and the corresponding final citations of those sources, I would most likely be able to figure out my own cases.

Anyone one know of such a repository of citation examples?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

I'm not aware of a collection like that. We do have a webinar that demonstrates making your own custom source templates. 

48. Sentence and Source Templates in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 allencoleman46

allencoleman46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for your response and suggestion.  I have watched both RootsMagic webinars that deal with Sources and Citations but unfortunately, neither helps me answer the two questions I originally stated above.

Is there an example RootsMagic family tree posted that has sources and citations that one can review to see how things were done?

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

Is there an example RootsMagic family tree posted that has sources and citations that one can review to see how things were done?

http://my.rootsmagic.com/bruce/
https://www.google.c...alogy Software"

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Source Citations