9 replies to this topic

#1 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

This is probably not for this forum but I have been looking at Tom H's site and I see that that address space will be going away. Any relocation or is this the end?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5725 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:48 PM

I cannot answer this question other than to say that the wiki can continue as-is until September 30, 2018. Meanwhile, I can look into alternatives and would welcome knowledgeable advice.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5725 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:37 AM

The announcement from Wikispaces is at http://blog.wikispaces.com/#

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:38 AM

Hope you find a new home for your very useful site Tom!!

#5 momakid

momakid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:41 AM

I too agree a new site is found. I use him a lot.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5725 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:37 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been abroad when this came up, armed only with a smartphone. I can say that I have done a little research to add to what I learned when Wikispaces started to charge for what had been free. No magic bullet yet discovered among the many offerings available. I don't want to get into the entrails of building a site using, say, Drupal but nobody offers an easy migration to anything nor is there even a forum of Wikispaces Wiki Organizers sharing knowledge and experience. So it's going to be a short timeline to gosh knows what.

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

So it's going to be a short timeline to gosh knows what.

Here's my suggestion. -> Notion <-(https://www.notion.so/)
Check out this video:

AND (in particular) a more recent one on the same channel named [My Notion Set-up 2018] whereby you can see how he applied it to his aims.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5725 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for your suggestion, Kevin. They are always informed and insightful. I had a look at the website and was mightily impressed at all the things it can do, some of which are completely foreign to me. So I jumped to Pricing. The Free version simply has inadequate capacity. The Pro version costs $9/user monthly. For this collaborative wiki, that's too high or restricts us to 1 user at the same rate we paid Wikispaces.

#9 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

I hope you find a new home since you have a lot of great content there!

You may have already seen this but I happened to see this site (http://referata.com/wiki/Main_Page) recommended on the Wikispaces support page (http://helpcenter.wikispaces.com/customer/portal/articles/2920537-classroom-and-free-wikis).

Another option may be to spin up your own domain at Dreamhost (https://www.dreamhos...hosting/shared/) and they then provide a 1-click install of MediaWiki.

I don't know much about hosting Wikis so I don't really know if either of these would work for your situation but I thought I'd throw out a couple of ideas.

Good luck.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5725 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:46 AM

Thanks, cj. I have looked briefly at the suggestions from Wikispaces and, in the past, at MediaWiki hosts. There are many possibilities - I'm looking for one that's easy, free or cheap, without substantial loss of function and data. Couldn't find a forum of Wikispaces Organizers going through parallel transitions so I have just started one in groups.io called Wikispaces-Refugees. Hope to benefit from others' knowledge and experience.