• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:03 AM

I was given an old hand written chart from a distant cousin that extended my family tree on one line back five generations. Of course none of the data was sourced. I created a new separate database to start entering this new data, planning on a merge when I felt satisfied that this was in fact was a proper extension to my family tree. I reached that point and did a merge on separate copies of both databases so that if something went wrong I could just revert to my last correct database.

1  Create backup copies of both databases.

2  Did a drag and drop from the new database to my existing database copy specifying to bring the entire new database over.

3  Did a manual merge of the three people that were common between the two databases

Everything looked great until i looked at a person who should not have been affected by this merge. I noticed that this person had duplicate Birth, Marriage and Death facts. The only difference was that the place information for each fact was different. On one I used City and state and the duplicate had city, county and state. An easy fix but I can't imagine how I could have created this situation, which is my first question. Could I have done a merge or something in the past that would have created this? I don't think that the current merge had anything to do with these duplicate facts.

Second question - Is there a way to find all occurrences of these double facts?

I still have not gone beyond the merge and I have all copies of my data intact.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2807 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:55 AM

If I understand correctly, you are still just sort of playing with copies of both databases. So I assume you can go back to your original unmerged database and look at the person with the duplicate facts. It's certainly possible the duplicate facts got there during a merge you did previously, possibly years ago. A merge does not clean up duplicate facts. You have to clean that up by hand.

On the question of finding duplicate facts, the best tool inside of RM is Lists->Fact Type List. Select a fact type. Print->People with more than one of this fact type.

Within RM's searching and marking tools, there is not a way to find duplicate fact types.

Jerry

#3 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

Jerry,

Great suggestions. I ran the utility looking for duplicate facts. I only found three people with duplicate births and 1 with duplicate deaths. Easily corrected. It was not a widespread issue.

Thanks again.

#4 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

I was checking to see if my merged database was ok to start using for new data and I ran into a question. If I look at the properties for the various databases the numbers do not seem to add up

Old database             People: 1642  families   590  facts:  5609

New database            People:     41  Families:   20  facts:     85

Combined database  People:  1667  Families: 605 Facts: 5667

The old plus the new do not seem to add up. I selected everyone in the new database to be copied/merged with my old database. Why wouldn't the numbers be

Combined database  People:  1683  Families: 610 Facts: 5694 ( I did know that three people would be duplicate)

Everytning else seems to be ok

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

Merging databases is always laden with potential issues. 

1. When you merge individuals, unless the common facts are identical in every respect, they get duplicated. You can tell which will be merged and which will be copied in the merge screen. The green are the same and get merged, the yellow ones get duplicated. 
  2. Any place names that differ in any way get duplicated in your place database. Same for place details. So if a duplicated burial is in "West Podunk, Iowa" but one is at "Sleepy Hollow Cemetery" and the other is at "Sleepy Hollow Cem." the details will be duplicated.
  3. Don't get me started on what happens to sources. In your example, your 2nd tree has only a single source, created from the "Family trees, undocumented" template.

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

When I merge a file FROM one database in TO another database, I go through several review & edit steps before I do the drag-n-drop. One of those steps is to make all of the Places in the FROM database exactly match the Places in the TO database. That takes care of of a LOT of potential duplication of facts/

#7 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I now have a better idea of what RM does when I copy a database. My second database was one I created from data I had received from a potential source. All the facts are documented as I went in and proved each link and fact.  I can see why I had received duplicate facts probably from an older merge.

I knew that some places might be duplicated and I would correct them by merging any potential duplicate places after the merge. There were only three people overlapping in this case so I did not anticipate any duplicate facts. I will use caution to correct any place names before the merge next time. I still have not done any edits on my original file and won't until I decide if this new database is worth keeping. After running some more tests I have decided that my merged database is not correct and I will start over with new copies of both databases, following all the instructions that everyone has provided.

Thanks everyone