8 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

I'd like a tool to be able to replace old free-form master sources with new templated sources. I've been using RootsMagic (and Family Origins) for a long time. I have a lot of the old style sources. I know that we've discussed (and ruled out) an automatic conversion but what I'm talking about would be an assisted manual process. You'd click a button "replace/update master source". This would open a window that would be similar to the "Merge Individual" window. On one side would be the old source edit window. The other would be a Master Source template selection window (e.g. Add New Source) After selecting the template to use, you could copy and paste from the old source to the new one. Once you finish, click OK, and get a warning, "This will replace all citations to the old source with the new one and delete the old source." The citation information and source detail information would copy over to the new source. 

Does this make sense?

Right now I've got several duplicate master sources where one has "(Use this one)" appended to the name.  This allows me to leave the old master free form source in place while making new citations to the new master source.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

I've been doing that since RM 3 came on board.  I use the merge function in Source List.  One by one, I print the old one first to make sure everything transfers and works. I keep a hard copy of the one removed and dated as of the transfer in my hard copy file RM Facts. Also while doing this, I have found I had put some of those sources in the Personal file, and decided I did not want them there but in an actual fact/event.  This is a long process and doing it as I come across one of them.   

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:06 AM

Nettie, What you're saying is that what I want to do can be accomplished by creating a new copy of the master source and then very carefully using the source merge to merge the old source into the new one? I've never used source merge. I didn't know it could be used to do this. When you use a source template that has multiple lines for the citation detail (e.g. Accessed, Date, Page, etc.) does the citation detail copy over to the Page line?

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

Don - The source merge requires the FROM and TO templates to have the same fields. If the fields don't match, you are going to lose data that RM doesn't know how to handle.

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

Don - The source merge requires the FROM and TO templates to have the same fields. If the fields don't match, you are going to lose data that RM doesn't know how to handle.

Yes but I've been testing what @Nettie suggested and it seems to work. I'm not interested in merging two sources with different templates (e.g. Book-Basic Format > Website as a database). All I want to do is replace a free-form source with a templated source (e.g. free-form -> Book-Basic Format). I want the old source to go away. It seems that when you perform this merge the citation details get copied to the "Page" field, which is exactly what I want to happen 99% of the time. 

I open the old source for editing, copy all the information and paste to Notepad. Create a new master source from a template, pasting from Notepad and sometimes adding information from WorldCat.org. Then close the new source and merge the old one into the new one. Seems to work. 

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5633 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

A merge of sources using different source templates results in only that citation data that were in fields that are common to both (same name) remaining visible in the new citation. The data from fields with no matching names in the target remains in the database but cannot be got at through the new template.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2807 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

Replacing sources is going to be largely a manual process, no matter what. But there is a trick you can use to assist the merge process if you are willing to use source templates of your own design. And if you don't want to design your own template from scratch, you can copy a built-in template and add fields to it.

Namely, you can make sure your new source template includes all the fields from the old source template. You may not intend to use all said fields in source sentences, but if  you include the fields then the source merge will not lose the data. After the merge, you can then adjust the data as needed and you don't have to make note of the data on paper or elsewhere to avoid losing the data. Finally (and if it suits your personal preferences), after your source maintenance project is completed you can delete the fields from your source template that don't become variables in your source sentences.

Jerry

#8 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:47 AM

One issue is that the Free Form template, doesn't really seem to have a template. So,  I can't really see what the fields are. It appears that the citation details are all contained in a Page field. So, as long as I'm merging into a book template. I should be OK. 

#9 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

I have very often merged Free Form master sources into a new filled-out master source using the Book, Basic Format template. The citation details (Page Number in Free Form and Page in Book, Basic Format) and Research Notes and Media have always transferred over perfectly for me.