• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

The Relationship Calculator seems to be non-functional with my database.  Even a known 3rd cousin once-removed does not register.  The app tells me there is no relationship.

Is there a limit to the size of the database that can be installed and used with the Relationship Calculator?  Will anything over a thousand or so simply not crunch in the Relationship Calculator?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7647 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:56 AM

You may have a missing link connecting you. Check there are issues with multiple spouses or parents. In RM go to Reports>Charts>Relationship Charts and add your 3rd cousin and yourself to see if the relationship is showing. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

Yes, the relations show clearly in RootsMagic 7.5.5.0 itself.  But I'm trying to see the same relationships in the RootsMagic app.

No Joy To Date.

But... my database is 66 MB and contains ca. 50,000 individuals.

Perhaps that is too much for the RM app to crunch.

No?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7647 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

If you open a support ticket with a backup of your database we could test it. Tell us who to look at. 

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

There is too much proprietary information in my database to do that.

...But the Relationship Calculator function works fine in RootsMagic 7.5.5.0 itself -- as does the Relationship Charting function.

The RM app just doesn't measure up -- at least on two iPhone X 256s or on my iPad Air 64.

...And it is not just for one individual relationship -- but across the board.

The RM app tells me my Sainted Grandmother and I are "Not Related" -- both on the iPhones and the iPad.

#6 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

Continuing...

I took a very small database, just 718 people, and the rmgc file is just 1,588 KB ---- vice 72 MB for that of my "Grown-Up" Real World Database with 50,000 people.

The RM Relationship Function on the app seems to work just fine with my devices and that very small database.

So, my suspicion deepens that the combination of the RM app, as currently built, and standard devices, such as iPhones and iPads simply cannot handle databases beyond a certain size.

Is there a limit to the size of the database that can be installed and used with the Relationship Calculator?  Will anything over a thousand or so simply not crunch in the Relationship Calculator?

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5717 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

Maybe you have to wait? One would think that if the app can load and display anyone in the db it should be capable of the calculation. But even the main app cannot compute Ahnantafel beyond 32 bits.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

Continuing...

1.  The "main app" Relationship Calculator in RM 7.5.5.0 *itself* on a strong laptop can calculate relationships up to ca. 50th Great-Grandparent or so.

2.  It is not a question of "not waiting".  The "Not Related" box comes up after just a few seconds -- and no further calculations with those two inputs working in concert is possible.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5717 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

My point about Ahnantafel numbers limited to 32 bits in the main app was to illustrate that, even though you have great hardware, an internal limitation in the software precludes assigning an Ahnantafel to your 50th ggf. Likewise, it sounds like a bug in the mobile app prevents it from calculating a relationship. The main and mobile apps were developed on different platforms because the one for the main app is an obsolete 32-bit system that lacks mobile support. The respective relationship calculators might be different.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7647 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

I do not know of any limitations on the size of a database that the relationship calculator will work with. That is why having a copy of the database would be good. 

The other thing that can cause issues is some corruption in the database itself. Run the File>Database Tools - all option in consecutive order on the database after a fresh restart of RM. Then upload it to the device to see if that helps. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:41 PM

"Likewise, it sounds like a bug in the mobile app prevents it from calculating a relationship." -- Tom H.

Yes, that seems to be highly probable

------------------------------------------------------

I ran another experiment with an entirely different RM database containing just 19,059 individuals.  Same Results:  "Not Related" to several clearly related individuals.

-------------------------------------------------------

"The other thing that can cause issues is some corruption in the database itself.  Run the File>Database Tools - all option in consecutive order on the database after a fresh restart of RM. Then upload it to the device to see if that helps."  -- Renee Zamora 

-------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I am well-familiar with those functions and run all of them every time I make changes.  The databases check out just fine for Integrity, Indexing, Phantom Records and Compacting.

#12 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

"I do not know of any limitations on the size of a database that the relationship calculator will work with."  -- Renee Zamora

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ran another test with an RM database of just 1,588 KB, 718 People, 222 Families and 667 Events.  The RM mobile app passed muster and calculated the relationships cleanly and quickly.

So, there does appear to be an issue of database size that needs to be investigated further.

#13 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

"One would think that if the app can load and display anyone in the db it should be capable of the calculation. But even the main app cannot compute Ahnantafel beyond 32 bits." -- Tom H.

Excellent Point...

So, RootsMagic 7.5.5.0 is still a 32 bit software program?

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5717 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

Yes, or at least some parts of it are. The database engine is 64 bit but the Ahenentafel calculator is definitely 32. I think the Delphi development system in which RM 4-7 were developed is 32 or was set to 32. I'm expecting RM8 to be 64 bit as it is being developed on a later generation development system.

#15 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

Remarkable... Lagging...

RootsMagic 8 *definitely* needs to be an *entirely* 64 bit system --  with a lesser 32 bit system too, as a step-down, I surmise.

Legacy 9 is *already* a 64 bit system, and has been for quite some time.

Legacy 9 will already take me to a 52 generation Ahnentafel -- 1,568 pages worth.

#16 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:46 PM

...Continuing...

Another *very* useful feature in the Legacy 9 Relationship Calculator Function is that it will calculate the 67 different ways you are related to William The Conqueror.

...Then it will show you the precise 67 different linkages, with each step delineated and detailed.

...And then it will Chart each one of those 67 different relationships for you.

...Further, it will allow you to print each and every one.

#17 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

It would also be most helpful if the RootsMagic App were not just Read-Only but was Interactive as well, allowing the user to input new data and revise the old.

#18 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:35 AM

"Yes, or at least some parts of it are. The database engine is 64 bit but the Ahenentafel calculator is definitely 32. I think the Delphi development system in which RM 4-7 were developed is 32 or was set to 32. I'm expecting RM8 to be 64 bit as it is being developed on a later generation development system."

Tom H.

-----------------------------------------------

It would be most helpful to have some word from RootsMagic that that indeed will be the case.

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7647 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

No confirmation on if RM8 will be 32 or 64 bit.

Renee
RootsMagic

#20 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:46 PM

Thank You, Renee.