25 replies to this topic

#21 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

However, I'm using windows 10 and no search box in this case.

I'm on Windows 10, also. Maybe there is some subtle configuration parameter that is set differently between our two computers? Such things are common.

Jerry

#22 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

A quick visual on this below which might help, it does contain renaming;

https://youtu.be/25gkgOAgv3k

Vyger,

I viewed the clip and it did have several good tips. Thanks.

The best one was to make sure and develop a naming scheme of your own before you begin posting media to RM. Man do I wish I had done that several years ago before I started using RM. I would have avoided all the hassels I'm going through now trying to change media file names and relink them in RM. I also would have approached WebHints and TreeShare differently with respect to allowing them to add new media to my data base.

Oh well.....coulda-woulda-shoulda   :wacko:

Rick

RickL

#23 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

I'm on Windows 10, also. Maybe there is some subtle configuration parameter that is set differently between our two computers? Such things are common.

Jerry

Jerry,

I don't know, but I'll check for that.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#24 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3264 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

Vyger,

I viewed the clip and it did have several good tips. Thanks.

The best one was to make sure and develop a naming scheme of your own before you begin posting media to RM. Man do I wish I had done that several years ago before I started using RM. I would have avoided all the hassels I'm going through now trying to change media file names and relink them in RM. I also would have approached WebHints and TreeShare differently with respect to allowing them to add new media to my data base.

Oh well.....coulda-woulda-shoulda   :wacko:

Rick

Rick, thank you, I'm glad you got something from it and I did not use that system from the beginning.

A file naming convention was forced on me when I collaborated with two other researchers some 20 years ago on a common surname of interest in Ireland. We all started throwing documents into the pot and quickly realised everything was triplicated due to our different file naming styles. We stopped, scrapped everything and looked at how we each named files thankfully all of which had some meaningtowards the contents. One researcher was a talented programmer and wrote some scripts to convert all our respective file names to a standard we had thrashed out and agreed between us. I have been using the basis of that system ever since but it took quite a bit of time back then.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#25 HowdyPez

HowdyPez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

A quick visual on this below which might help, it does contain renaming;

https://youtu.be/25gkgOAgv3k

OMG! Thank you for the video!!!! I could not figure out what I was missing when renaming a media item.  Now I know!  Been stuck on this for several days!  [BTW, love the accent!].

#26 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3264 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:23 AM

OMG! Thank you for the video!!!! I could not figure out what I was missing when renaming a media item.  Now I know!  Been stuck on this for several days!  [BTW, love the accent!].

Thank you and glad you got something from the video, the day was not wasted.....

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root