• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 teagranny

teagranny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Hi I have recently learned some more about naming scanned files. I have previously scanned files, easily over 100 maybe more.  My question is do I start from beginning and re-scan and re-name. Or try and re-name as I come across them, they are sorted but admittedly not the way I would like, think I could improve on that now.  So would someone have any suggestions at all.  As well I would like to any suggestions for including them with my files on Roots.  This really comes under Things I wish I had known.

Thank you in advance

Marlene

#2 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

Rename them. If used by RM, then you relink when it doesn't find them. (A pop-up window should appear if the link is broken)

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

There is definitely no need to rescan.

If you have not yet linked them into RM, simply use Windows Explorer to go to the folder (or folders) where they are stored and rename them.

If you have already linked them into RM, you can rename them from RM. You can do it from Lists->Media Gallery. The renaming process will be easier if you display the files in RM List mode rather than Thumbnails mode (there is a button on the lower left hand corner of the screen).  Do the following for each file to be renamed.

• Highlight the file
  • Click the Properties button.
  • Click the Change media file button. We are going to pretend to switch to a different media file.  But unbeknownst to RM, we are really going to rename the file in Windows and then we are going to tell RM to switch over to the new name.
  • A Windows Explorer window will open. Although you initiated the the process in RM, you are now really in Windows. Right click the file in the Windows Explorer window and choose the Rename option. Complete the rename. Just like when you are in RM, you may find this step easier if you put the Windows Explorer window into List mode instead of Thumbnail mode.
  • Highlight the file again in the Windows Explorer window. Click Open. Click Ok. The file will now be renamed in both Windows and RM.

I have to admit that this is a pretty clunky and time consuming process to accomplish for 100 files if all 100 files are already linked into RM, but it will still be much easier and faster than rescanning all the documents and relinking all the documents into RM.

Jerry

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Jerry,

Tried your method described in your post from February and it works great. Yes, it is "clunky" but I have not found another more efficient method. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm currently dealing with two separate issues in this regard.

1) I have an old RM media gallery created over time, without a consistent media naming convention in mind, resulting in a mess of my own making. I'm now trying to clean this up, but I've run into the lack of a mass media re-naming functionality in RM7.

2) In addition, each time I use Tree Share, new media is added to my gallery with the naming ID downloaded from Ancestry (which means nothing to me and is virtually unsearchable in my media gallery directory). I'd like to rename these using my naming convention, but again no efficient way to do this and keep my links to RM.

I am also using Windows file tagging options to help with my media directory searches. Of course this takes a significant amount of time as well.

I would appreciate any input regarding a better method (once one comes along).

Thanks again,

Rick

RickL

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

Here's a bulk renaming process http://sqlitetoolsfo...name and Relink

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

Tom,

Thank you. I haven't had time to check this out yet but if it works for my two issues - -Thank you, thank you  :)

Rick

RickL

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

Here's a bulk renaming process http://sqlitetoolsfo...name and Relink

Hey Tom,

I'm next to illiterate on SQL. However, I have had good success with RMTrix. Any chance the bulk media renaming process may be added to the RMTrix bundled tools?

Hoping....

Thanks again

Rick

RickL

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

Very slim. I've forgotten most of what I learned of Visual C# when I created RMtrix several years ago. Maybe your best hope is for RootsMagic to develop a bulk renaming tool...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

OK, thanks anyway. I'm plodding through, learning as I go. I'll ask for this tool to be added to the wish list.

RickL

#10 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

Very slim. I've forgotten most of what I learned of Visual C# when I created RMtrix several years ago. Maybe your best hope is for RootsMagic to develop a bulk renaming tool...

Hey Tom,

I'm next to illiterate on SQL. However, I have had good success with RMTrix. Any chance the bulk media renaming process may be added to the RMTrix bundled tools?

Hoping....

Thanks again

Rick

Renee Zamora,

Any chance we can get this added to the wish list for RM7? Lots of folks are having issues with renaming media files, and also with the non-logical media ID's coming from Ancestry thru Tree Share. There appears to be no efficient way to make mass changes to media file names/links.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7994 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Hi Renee - Thanks

Is there a link on the forum that will take you to the enhancement request list and maybe give some idea of when to expect the functionality to be available?

Rick

RickL

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

From the users' perspective, the enhancement list is a black hole.

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

From the users' perspective, the enhancement list is a black hole.

The list is just for consideration by the developers, and is not a commitment to include the enhancements in the product. It's not a public document, and the percentage of enhancement requests that make it into the product is not zero but it's extremely low. 

Jerry

#15 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

Alas, "Confirming this is on the enhancement request list." = "Le Roy s'avisera" and NOT "Le Roy le veult."

#16 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

Getting back to this for a couple of additional thoughts .........

While there is a method of renaming media and then re-linking it to the RM ( see Jerry's post of 12 Feb 2018), the process is so slow and cumbersome that I have found that the best you can do is track the media file name (coming from Ancestry Tree Share) by referring to the file media properties in RM. The assigned file name and caption are listed there. This will get you back to the file in your media directory. I then use Windows File Explorer to "tag" the file with the person's name, the event type, etc. Again, this process is also slow and requires a lot of extra steps just to properly identify media saved in your media directory and make it recognizable. [Note - tagging some file types this way in Windows 10 is also a hassle]. Anyway, it would be great to have a mass change tool in RM to handle this issue. Hope the enhancement gets a high priority......

In the mean time if anyone knows of a better process, sure would like to hear about it.

Thanks

Rick

RickL