• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 teagranny

teagranny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Hi I have recently learned some more about naming scanned files. I have previously scanned files, easily over 100 maybe more.  My question is do I start from beginning and re-scan and re-name. Or try and re-name as I come across them, they are sorted but admittedly not the way I would like, think I could improve on that now.  So would someone have any suggestions at all.  As well I would like to any suggestions for including them with my files on Roots.  This really comes under Things I wish I had known.

Thank you in advance

Marlene

#2 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

Rename them. If used by RM, then you relink when it doesn't find them. (A pop-up window should appear if the link is broken)

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2793 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

There is definitely no need to rescan.

If you have not yet linked them into RM, simply use Windows Explorer to go to the folder (or folders) where they are stored and rename them.

If you have already linked them into RM, you can rename them from RM. You can do it from Lists->Media Gallery. The renaming process will be easier if you display the files in RM List mode rather than Thumbnails mode (there is a button on the lower left hand corner of the screen).  Do the following for each file to be renamed.

• Highlight the file
  • Click the Properties button.
  • Click the Change media file button. We are going to pretend to switch to a different media file.  But unbeknownst to RM, we are really going to rename the file in Windows and then we are going to tell RM to switch over to the new name.
  • A Windows Explorer window will open. Although you initiated the the process in RM, you are now really in Windows. Right click the file in the Windows Explorer window and choose the Rename option. Complete the rename. Just like when you are in RM, you may find this step easier if you put the Windows Explorer window into List mode instead of Thumbnail mode.
  • Highlight the file again in the Windows Explorer window. Click Open. Click Ok. The file will now be renamed in both Windows and RM.

I have to admit that this is a pretty clunky and time consuming process to accomplish for 100 files if all 100 files are already linked into RM, but it will still be much easier and faster than rescanning all the documents and relinking all the documents into RM.

Jerry