• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Bernacki

John Bernacki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:48 PM

I am working on a book using the Publisher feature. I included a blank page before saving it as an RTF document. Using MS Word, I added contents to the blank page (new section/“chapter”). My problem is that I cannot find a way to update the table of contents. I know how to do it when the page heading/title is within the body of the report, but it does not work when the heading is within the header. All the other chapters (e.g. pedigree chart, narrative reports etc.) which were created by RM have the titles within the header. Is this issue unique to RM? I have watched many YouTube videos on MS Word but cannot find the solution.

Regards,

John

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2793 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:31 PM

Highlight the index and click F9.

Jerry

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:01 PM

When you included the blank page in RM Publisher, did you give that page a title? If so, that should have shown up in the TOC, and Jerry's suggestion to update the index may also update the page numbers in the TOC.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2793 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:35 AM

If you print reports from RM, the index or indexes look pretty good. If you print RM reports from Microsoft Word and if you need to use Word's F9 trick to rebuild the indexes, the index or indexes likely do not look very good. It's hard to describe the "not looking good" problem without posting an example, and I don't have time right this second to do so. I may have time in the next couple of days. So you need to "edit" the indexes a little bit before printing. Except that the indexes themselves really can't be edited. What can be edited is their style.

Editing the style of an index in Microsoft Word is actually quite easy. I can do everything I need to do in a minute or two. However, the process is not very intuitive and it's very poorly documented by Microsoft. So it can be a little bit hard to figure out. I have to do it so seldom that I tend to forget from one time to the next exactly how to do it, and I usually have to figure it out all over again. I may have made a little video of how to do it. If so, I'll try to find it and post it. If not, I'll try to make one and post it.

If you want to play with it in the meantime, I do remember that you get into the Microsoft Word style editor for indexes by right clicking an individual index entry. For example, in the name index to edit the style in which the last name is displayed you right click on any last name in the index. The style you set for that one last name is then set for every last name in the index, and similarly for first name. The index will be double spaced by default which looks awful, and you fix that by choosing classic mode for the index. It's easier to get the name index looking good than the place index because the name index has only two levels - last name and first name, and the place index (if you are using it) has as many levels as you have in your place names in your RM database. Any style you set for one index in Microsoft Word applies to all indexes, so you can't have one style for your name index and another style for your place index.

Jerry