• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wclaughlin

wclaughlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

I want to to export a GEDCOM file of a group containing all direct ancestors of a particular person.  Call this an "Ancestor Group."  This would be like a RootsMagic Pedigree report where I select an individual and then generate all of his/her direct ancestors.  I know how to create a new Group by selecting each individual one-by-one.  But surely there is a way to pick a root person and then automatically select all his/her direct ancestors without having to scroll down hundreds of people in alphabetic order and hope you checked every ancestor.  Is there an easy way to do this?

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:30 PM

On the GEDCOM Export screen:
People to export dropdown choose <Select from list> and click <OK>
Type all letters of particular person's last name, then a comma, then first name... until you can checkmark and highlight that one person.
Click <Mark group> button
Choose <Ancestors of highlighted person>
Make sure <Direct ancestors only> of Ancestor Options screen has a dot selection in it's white circle and choose how many <Generations>.
Click <OK> again and they should all become checkmarked.
Continue with export process.

PROCESS IS essentially SAME for creating a Group. Be aware that the group encompasses only folks currently in the database at the time of creation. If you later add more ancestors... you have to re-run the group marking process to pick up the more recently added ancestors.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 wclaughlin

wclaughlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

Voila!!  Thank you so much!  The crucial step I was missing was to click the <Mark Group> button AFTER I started the GEDCOM process.  I was thinking I had to create the Ancestor Group BEFORE I went to GEDCOM export where I would then select an already existing group to export.   RootsMagic Help was no help either, at least not in the GEDCOM section of Help.  I so appreciate your help.

Bill Laughlin

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

Voila!!  Thank you so much!  The crucial step I was missing was to click the <Mark Group> button AFTER I started the GEDCOM process.  I was thinking I had to create the Ancestor Group BEFORE I went to GEDCOM export where I would then select an already existing group to export.   RootsMagic Help was no help either, at least not in the GEDCOM section of Help.  I so appreciate your help.

Bill Laughlin

You can actually do it either way. Which way is easier is a matter of personal preferences.

Jerry

#5 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

PROCESS IS essentially SAME for creating a Group. Be aware that the group encompasses only folks currently in the database at the time of creation. If you later add more ancestors... you have to re-run the group marking process to pick up the more recently added ancestors.

On a new addition to the database, at creation of the memorial, is there not a check box with opportunity to add to a group?

John

#6 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

From any "view" (not Edit) you can right click on a person's name and select "Quick Groups" and add or delete from existing Groups. You cannot do this from the "Edit" window because it is Modal and does not allow it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ancestor Group, GEDCOM Export