5 replies to this topic

#1 David Finnigan

David Finnigan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

Two questions about entering DNA stuff:

1. How would I create a fact that shows that I have found a DNA link between two people?
  2. When I tried to enter DNA test results (using the DNA Test fact), there were only options for mtDNA and Y DNA - not Autosomal DNA. Is there another way of entering these results? Or is this a possible future addition?

Thanks for your help

Regards

David

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7994 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:19 PM

To create a new fact type look under Help>Contents and search for "Design new fact types". I would stick with making Individual fact types. The Family Fact types are not always supported on other sites.

No way to enter Autosomal DNA results. It is on the enhancement request list. I actually don't recommend using the DNA fact right now. It will not survive a GEDCOM or drag n drop transfer. I made a custom DNA Note Fact and add the results into the notes field. You could share the DNA fact with others to see who is connected. Color-coding or adding a fact are other options too.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 David Finnigan

David Finnigan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for these comments Renee. I have created other facts so I'll give this one a try also.

I was also trying to see what other users might do.

David

#4 KC1SP

KC1SP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:14 AM

I was just trying to enter DNA (autosomal) and found it didn't work, too.  If I search for "autosomal DNA, I see this lady from RootsMagic in 2015 said it's in the queue for adding to RM.  And I see this NEW REQUEST in 2018 that asks the same question and that same lady says it's in the queue for adding to RM.  Now, I'm a programmer...I have to say they got one long queue not to be able to come up with SOMETHING in three years.

Is it time to look for a more up-to-date FT software that handles what is now a basic commodity in everyone's Genealogy kit?

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

I see this lady from RootsMagic in 2015 said it's in the queue for adding to RM. 

Being on the enhancement request list is not a commitment on RM's part to include the enhancement in the product. The vast majority of such enhancement requests never seem to make it into the product.

Jerry

#6 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

I have a fact I use to create a weak link between two people "Perhaps Same Person". I use it when I feel that two people might be the same but don't have enough proof to merge them. I just create the fact and link the other person as a witness. It's kind of a kludge but it works, after a fashion. Maybe you could create a "DNA Link" fact and share the fact with people with whom you have a DNA connection.