• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 odyhill

odyhill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

My wife and I are both New Englanders and both go back to the same great grandparents back in 1589, (11generation) it splits with 2 of their sons, 10th generation) that was a big surprise in and of itself. Now I find that a sibling sister (10th generation)of these 2 sons married into a family that in 3 or 4 generation later joins my family again so when I look at my tree with the original great grandparents one I see 2 sets of great grand parents for me and 1 set for my wife. Is this possible? or am I in for a redo.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2807 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

If I understand what you are saying correctly the situation sounds totally normal to me. You have two different lines back to a set of ancestors and your wife has one line back to the same set of ancestors. If you have any kids, your kids each have three different lines to the same set of ancestors.

I don't know about New England, but in Southern Appalachia where I'm from, there were a lot of rural and sparsely populated counties. There weren't a lot of people to choose from for marriage partners, and many of my ancestors married cousins of various sort - first cousins, second cousins, second cousins once removed, etc. Therefore, I have many ancestors for whom I have multiple lines that go back to them.

Jerry

#3 odyhill

odyhill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Jerry for your reply. In this case I may have to redo anyhow. I have been doing a direct line of my own ancestors and skipping their kids, cousins etc, just grandparents. I can see I may be missing a lot of folks by eliminating their offspring. thanks again, Bill