Photo

Uncheck the Living box to show more details?

Privacy Living website

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeHal

MikeHal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:31 AM

Hello, I'm new to RM. I've searched the forums for help on this question. Some threads come very close to giving the answer but they tend to be a bit complicated for this beginner.

I think I understand the privacy issue fairly well. I currently have my self-hosted, RM7 produced website showing no more than "Full Name" of living individuals, which is my chosen configuration until someone complains.

Some living members of my family, including myself, want to show photos and other information about ourselves.

To do this, is it possible to un-check the "Living" check-box associated with those individuals who wish to be more fully described, before outputting the website files from RM7?

Regards,

Mike Halmarack

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

If you uncheck the Living flag they will be treated as deceased so the privacy settings won't apply to them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 MikeHal

MikeHal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:53 AM

Thanks so much Renee,

a very clear if somewhat disturbingly phrased reply.

The way you express it makes me want to seek an alternative, even if more complicated solution.

Though there may not be one.

I'll use this simple switch but keep studying the subject in the hope of finding a more subtle method.

Regards,

Mike Halmarack

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:14 AM

If you allow yourself to get hung up on terminology, RootsMagic will drive you crazy. The "Living Flag" should probably be called the "Privatize Flag" as that's its only real purpose.  I have a custom fact called "Flags" which is my way to carry-over a feature from RootsMagic's precursor, FamilyOrigins, which had several general-purpose "flags". I put certain letters in the "Flags" fact it indicate various facts. One is the "Z" flag which means "famous". I normally ruthlessly privatize living people from online reports, going so far as to remove any trace of their existence. (Not even an empty "Living" placeholder.)  The exception is for famous people, who have a lower legal expectation of privacy. The current holders of the Z flag are mostly named Bush, Clinton, Obama and Windsor.

I'd suggest that you reconsider putting the names of living people in your online publications. It's common to use facts like your mother's maiden name and your grandfather's given name as answers security questions. Having this information freely available online could make an identity thief's job that much easier. If I were in your database I'd ask that my name not be published.  

#5 MikeHal

MikeHal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:04 AM

Very well put Don, thank you. This process is a lot more complex than I initially thought it would be.

I'm going to remove the "Full Name" option for the living and revert to the "Living" option.

Then any living people who wish to have their details shown can be switched to do so.

I do have a lot to learn.

Regards,

Mike Halmarack

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Privacy, Living, website