9 replies to this topic

#1 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

I put RootsMagic7 Togo on a stick and took the road to the Library. Went to the computer lab desk and asked for computer time. Thoughts in my head of accessing Ancestry and other sources and brick-walls crashing as RM vacuumed valuable nuggets and deposited them in the tree.

I hinted at what I was expecting to the lady and she stopped and said 'you cannot load a program on our hard-drives.' I explained how Togo works, but the malleable had hardened and cooled and the opinion was set.

My question: How do others handle this and how do you explain it to them as to coax their agree-ability? 

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3394 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:16 AM

I hinted at what I was expecting to the lady and she stopped and said 'you cannot load a program on our hard-drives.'

Two observations.

One, you 'hinted'... whereas you likely should have just got on and then started up ToGo. It would have had the same general appearance as running any of the computer's programs or online apps and using the thumb drive for storage portability is common practice.

Two, the word 'load" has multiple connotations with regard to a program. Don't use that terminology or instead push back with the key point that you're merely RUNning a program (albeit that running a program requires it to LOAD into the computers memory. ToGo obviously puts no programs or files on their hard drives.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

I looked in RM Support, particularly under Magic Guides and the Knowledge Base, and found few mentions of RM To Go. None seemed to cover the use of RM To Go on library computers. In fact, there looks to be more info about RM To Go in the usual RM Help files than in the RM Support pages.

#4 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

One, you 'hinted'... 

Over enthusiastic, yes. Forget that not all enjoy their day same as I do!

Thanks for the observations,

John

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:27 PM

At my local branch library, I:
1) Don't tell them I'm going to run a program from my flash drive and

2) Don't tell them I'm accessing Ancestry Library Edition. If I do, they'll probably tell me I have to go to the LH&G room at the main library to do that.

#6 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:37 PM

Hello Don, Thank you.

Our library has a multitude of desk and laptops, but only 1 for Ancestry. The computers have a 2 hour limit but the single geni has unlimited time.

Will the other computers validate the Library's membership to Ancestry do you think?

#7 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

It depends. At one time our library was cheating and using a personal Ancestry account. During that time you had to use one of two computers in the LH&G department because the LH&G librarians would have to log you onto the account. They got caught and had to pay for Ancestry Library Edition. Since they went to Library Edition any computer on their network (at any branch) will work since it validates through the main IP address. There was a similar situation at the next county over. I could access Ancestry at the nearest branch (about 10 miles away) but if I asked about it, I'd be told I'd have to drive to the main branch and use one of the computers in the LH&G department. 

P.S. Some public computers are set up to restrict access to Explorer (directory viewer). In this case you may have to play around with available apps to get an explorer window to run RM. Also, the launcher (RootsMagic Launcher.exe) at the root of the thumb drive's file system may not work. You may have to go into the  RootsMagic directory and launch the program by clicking RootsMagic.exe.

P.P.S. If they are running Ancestry Library Edition, you can take a laptop, access their WiFi and run RootsMagic and Ancestry on your laptop.

#8 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

If I was a library admin I wouldn't let you run anything from a flash drive. It's a huge security issue. 

#9 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:05 AM

P.P.S. If they are running Ancestry Library Edition, you can take a laptop, access their WiFi and run RootsMagic and Ancestry on your laptop.

Sounds like a good solution! I don't want to run afoul of the rules.

Thanks Don

If I was a library admin I wouldn't let you run anything from a flash drive. It's a huge security issue. 

Yes, I understand that from security regulations at the workplace.

Thanks Keith,

John

#10 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:13 AM

I'm in the UK and tried in a couple of my local libraries but they prevent 'free' access to Ancestry and FMP on the WiFi.

Most places (libraries and archives)  I have been able to use flash drives and run a programme from it, in some case RM to Go would not run but an alternative (SimpleFamilyTree) would. I guess its luck of the draw.