• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bokgenealogy

bokgenealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

It's possible this question has been asked before, but I can't find it. Is there a way to edit how the list of children appears within the Narrative NGSQ Descendant Report? The way the structure is set up currently, it causes a lot of repeated information and the fact type sentence structure doesn't work correctly in the list of children.

This is how the individual looks (the way I want it):

502b1b7fbdeb8d385f20e43f04c53fc6.png

This is how the children list appears under the marriage:

0560104aa29b862d7ab86f54d02893ad.png

This is how that child looks in the next generation (I haven't finished editing my Place List yet to reflect Abbreviated forms):

034202ef31558fb5117e9b0aca25e84f.png

Is there any way that I can format the software to not print vital statistics in the children list for those who get married and have children since the exact same info is repeated?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2793 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:38 PM

For children who are carried forward to the next generation, the "child" sentences in narrative reports are not under control of sentence templates nor are they otherwise under your control. As a more extreme example than yours, if you change all your sentence templates to be in French instead of English, the "child" sentences for children who are carried forward to the next generation will still be in English. Also, if some of the children in a family are carried forward and some are not, the children not carried forward are under control of sentence templates and the children carried forward or not under control of sentence templates. This can create a very ragged appearance.

Better control of the format of narrative reports is a much wished for enhancement for RM. It is not known when or if such enhancements might appear.

Jerry

#3 bokgenealogy

bokgenealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:10 AM

That's what I was afraid of. Sounds like I'll be doing a lot of editing in Microsoft Word. Thanks, Jerry.

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:21 AM

I've always looked at RM's narrative reports as a "rough draft" at best. At least now they are an actual RTF file rather than just a text file with RTF formatting like they used to be.

#5 bokgenealogy

bokgenealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

I've always looked at RM's narrative reports as a "rough draft" at best. At least now they are an actual RTF file rather than just a text file with RTF formatting like they used to be.

That sure does complicate it when you're working on a massively huge project.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2793 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:05 PM

If you can fix something in RM, then it stays fixed for the next time you create a report as an RTF file. If you have to fix something with Microsoft Word, then it becomes unfixed the next time you create a report as an RTF file. For that reason, I have worked very hard through the years to set up my data in RM so that RM reports created as RTF files are as nearly camera ready as possible. It's not a perfect process, but generally speaking I'm able to run scripts against the RTF file rather than having to do a lot of manual and individualized editing. Changing the "children" lists as requested in this thread is not very amenable to being scripted. Rather, the "children" lists really need to be under control of sentence templates.

Jerry

#7 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:58 AM

A lot of the info I now distribute to family long pre dates my use of RM and previous software reports were less helpful than RM's so I ended up writing individual reports of key or interesting individuals  from scratch in MS Word. I include a 'note' in their RM entry to view their individual file for 'the full story'. Of course I try to make use of newer / better features  and if I was starting over I might take a different approach but equally I am not unhappy with the result and there are some ancestors that just warrant a book of their own :-)

#8 bokgenealogy

bokgenealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:48 AM

A lot of the info I now distribute to family long pre dates my use of RM and previous software reports were less helpful than RM's so I ended up writing individual reports of key or interesting individuals  from scratch in MS Word. I include a 'note' in their RM entry to view their individual file for 'the full story'. Of course I try to make use of newer / better features  and if I was starting over I might take a different approach but equally I am not unhappy with the result and there are some ancestors that just warrant a book of their own :-)

I think if I was just doing stuff for family I would probably type up reports from scratch using Word, but I'm working on getting a book ready to publish for someone not related that has over 2700 people imported from Ancestry. Using the sentence templates and fact notes has helped immensely, but there's still some things that I'm having to manually edit. It's not too bad though. Just a bunch of find/replace, drag/drop, and copy/paste.