5 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

It is requested that all of RM's automated merge processes support an option to add each newly merged individual to a Named Group of the users's choice (including making a new Named Group specifically for the current merge). A new group created in this manner could serve as a "to do" list of individuals who might need post-merge cleanup. As a user performs any such post-merge clean-up, they could easily remove the cleaned up individual from the group with QuickGroups.

Jerry

#2 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

In office you can do a search and replace which takes you to each and asks for verification --- or you can click an option to let it do it on its own.

RM Automatic Merges doesn't seem to have any ability to show the user what it's doing or has done.  

I'd really like it to present the possible merge candidates and allow me to make the decision.   And as Jerry notes, there is often some cleaning up to do after merging.

I ran the automerge once and based on my stats, it must have merged some people but I don't know who!  This freaks me out.

Thanks

Bev

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:21 AM

It is requested that all of RM's automated merge processes support an option to add each newly merged individual to a Named Group of the users's choice (including making a new Named Group specifically for the current merge). A new group created in this manner could serve as a "to do" list of individuals who might need post-merge cleanup. As a user performs any such post-merge clean-up, they could easily remove the cleaned up individual from the group with QuickGroups.

Jerry

I have achieved this by color coding all of the FROM group to a unique color (not one used in the TO group) before performing the drag-n-drop. After the drag-n-drop, I create a new group using that unique color code, then use People View to display my new Group in order to proceed with clean up work.

I know, it's a "little" slower than having the group auto-created.... but, it works. <grin>

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

I have achieved this by color coding all of the FROM group to a unique color (not one used in the TO group) before performing the drag-n-drop. After the drag-n-drop, I create a new group using that unique color code, then use People View to display my new Group in order to proceed with clean up work.

I know, it's a "little" slower than having the group auto-created.... but, it works. <grin>

I'm not quite sure I understand. In a merge, one of the individuals is kept and one of the individuals is deleted (after the information from the deleted individual is merged with the kept individual). I think the color that remains is the color of the kept individual. In an automatic merge, how do you control which is the kept individual and which is the deleted individual so that the proper color is kept?

Jerry

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:13 AM

I do not use automatic merges. As mentioned previously, although a manual merge is more time consuming, it makes me consider all aspects of the merge.

As for losing the new color upon merge, I consider that a bonus, not a bug. As I work through the duplicates, the group of the NEW color gets smaller, just as I would hope to achieve.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7994 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic