• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikebook

mikebook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

How do I merge two seperate databases. Both have rmgc extensions, but I have not been able to find how to merge and then de-duplicate the merged file? I have both files open, go to tools to  Merge then Automatic, but nothing happens?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

20180131_RM-drag-n-drop.png

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

If the two files have a lot of common people, expect to spend a lot of time merging the two databases. You can do an auto-merge if you like but be sure to back up the file before you do. You may not like the outcome.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

The obvious problem with auto-merge is the possibility that individuals will be merged that shouldn't have been merged. But auto-merge really has a more basic problem. Namely, as a part of merging two individuals with any kind of merge (not just auto-merge), a great deal of manual processing can be required. That's because the merge process requires you as the user to reconcile things like duplicated facts, differences in sources, differences in names, etc. It can be a very labor intensive process. With a manual merge you can take care of reconciling the differences between merged individuals as you go. For auto-merge, you have to do any required reconciliation after the auto-marge and it can be difficult to find all the individuals who were auto-merged.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7994 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

Below are links to Drag n Drop, Merging and the Compare Files tool videos.  You might want to consider the Compare Files tools first between these two databases. Sharing data back and forth might work instead of doing an actual merging of the two. 

Using Drag and Drop in RootsMagic

7. Cleaning Your Family Tree is RootsMagic
00:33:40 - Merging
01:02:02 - Drag n' Drop
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

What's New in RootsMagic 7  
00:15:50 – Data Clean
00:29:05 – Compare Files

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 jimjwilliamson

jimjwilliamson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:14 PM

Hmmm, so no matter what, I have to do this one person at  time?

Nevermind.. found it.. thank goodness

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:39 AM

Hmmm, so no matter what, I have to do this one person at  time?

Nevermind.. found it.. thank goodness

No, you can just combine the databases and run Automerge but be aware of the obvious;

"Florida, USA" and "Florida, U. S. A." are different, if Rootsmagic finds a fact with one version in one file and the other in the second database then the result will be two facts in the combined database.

I find Automerge including SmartMerge very good and reliable, having said that there is a remaining problem with Citations not being reconciled so massively duplicated. I would advise doing a test on two copy databases, screen capture the database properties before and after the merge operations.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root