• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

The reason I bought RootsMagic is that has Unicode symbols. Unfortunately it is tedious to do Ctrl+T all the time. Can it be a button on window “ADD new Individual”. Ideally with all symbols recently used. It would make it much easier. Polish names are full of different characters. 

#2 joe bloggs

joe bloggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

I am not certain I understand your suggestion, however, I use the Polish characters frequently in RootsMagic as well as in many other programs when I write in Polish.
I have installed the Polish keyboard in addition to the standard UK English and switch between the two depending on the language I am wanting.

#3 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

In the add new person window there is a plenty of room below burial and OK Cancel buttons. In this place in can be added new one as shortcut for symbols. Microsoft World has a list of recent used symbols. So it can be done.

Yes, your suggestion of Polish keyboard is valued one. I have to try it.

Another suggestion I just have (my first days with RootsMagic) is to display last place. When I key in next child I have to retype a birthday place name unless it is on top of the list. I don't need to go through similarly written cities from all over the world. I used PAF for last 20 years, it explains my suggestion.

#4 joe bloggs

joe bloggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

I think that before long, if you follow this forum, you will realise that there many features of other software that could be easily included in RootsMagic and are not.
I have never used PAF.
One way to reduce the amount of retyping is to use a good clipboard manager. The one I use and have recommended here is Clipx (www.bluemars.org/clipx/) It is free and worth a try for all computer use.

#5 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

Thanks Joe, I know that you can go around. I just made a suggestion to make RootsMagic even better. If there are third party programs to do a needed task it means that it is doable. So why not incorporate them into RM? That all.

We are end users aren’t we?

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7957 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

Confirming these are on the enhancement request list. 

You can also look up the Windows command for adding the characters you want. I know Alt+156 = £ for the British Pound. 

Here's a link you can look at - http://sites.psu.edu...indows/codealt/

Renee
RootsMagic