#21 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

Jerry,
OK, I tested several census facts using the technique you recommended. It worked fine. There was one "kink", unless I missed something, that I had to change. When you create the "dummy person", you have three choices regarding sex (male, female, or unknown). I just choose to match the census family head. Once I had "dragged and dropped" to copy the dummy person to my live data base, I had to change the sex to match the census family person I wanted to merge with. Otherwise no issues.

I added another twist. The census fact tested came from a "web hint". I went ahead and created the new fact for the "census head" using web hints. This brought in the source and media. I then "dragged and dropped" this person on my "dummy person" data base, and used "copy/ paste" and "memorize/ paste" to create the new census fact for the dummy person from the fact for the head person. (you can't memorize/ paste across data bases). I then deleted the head person from the dummy data base, and proceeded to copy/merge the fact to the other census family members back on my live data base. All worked fine.

I then tested using Tree Share to load the new census fact from the RM census family member to Ancestry. That worked OK except that the source went to "other sources" and the media went to "other media". (This can be fixed by editing the fact in the Ancestry fact view to attach the source and the media.) That's another issue that hopefully will get fixed someday.

Bottom line, the merging technique to copy census (or other fact types) to multiple other persons does work. The larger the number of other persons you want to copy to (i.e. census family), the more productive this copy method will be. I have many large families in my tree, so this will be very helpful. It also results in only one source citation and one set of media per event to be copied.

Thanks again for the hint
Rick

RickL

#22 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

Jerry,
One more note on this topic (copying facts to multiple persons) -

I have been using one additional method to copy "one offs" where I need to only copy a fact to maybe one or two people. Where your "merging" suggestion works well for copying to several, or many, persons, I have found that the following works OK for a quick one or two persons.

Using a census fact as an example, I use the share function to share the fact from the Head person to a census family person. I then go to the target person and use "copy paste" and "memorize paste" to create a new census fact from the details and source in the shared fact. If any media is attached to the fact, you have to edit the tag to attach a copy to the new person. If the media is attached to the source, "memorize paste" handles the copy. This brings all the info, media etc. to the target person's profile and makes it easy to copy. I then "unshare" the target person. Because you remove the person from the share, you avoid the problems that causes when you up or download to other software platforms. Still "clunky" but a little faster than merging for only one target person.

See any issues with this?
Rick

RickL

#23 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

See any issues with this?
Rick

Looks good to me.

Jerry

#24 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5877 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:36 PM

One cannot literally use RM's mem-paste to create a new event, only a new citation. So I suspect you manually create the new event and may use Windows copy-paste to help and then RM's mem-paste to add the citation.

AFAIK, any Ancestry Source citation that has been created by RM mem-paste becomes an "Other Source" when TreeShare updated to the Ancestry Tree. The AT will generate a Hint for the genuine Ancestry Source. Is that an issue for you?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#25 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

No, not really. I'm suffering with that on the Ancestry side already. As far as RM is concerned I'm not seeing any issues. For example, when creating a new census fact, I create the new fact first for the Head of the census family. Sometimes that fact info comes from Ancestry through web hints. I complete the fact with date, description, place, notes, media, and source. Then I share with the rest of the census family members and create new census facts for each of them, copying from the shared fact info, and memorizing and pasting the source. I then remove the census family members from the share. When I use Tree Share to update these new facts to Ancestry, sources, notes, and media go under "Other Sources". Sometimes I have to edit to match them back to the fact, sometimes not?? But it works for me.

RickL

#26 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5877 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:37 PM

I forget if I have made these suggestions before to you but they might facilitate your share event, copy event, mem-paste citation, unshare event process. Years ago, I addressed this with a set of SQLite scripts that can carry it out in seconds. They could be enhanced to retain Ancestry Source links for all copies but, until that happens, I have also developed a script that creates the TreeShare link for all duplicate citations of a TreeShared Ancestry Source.

These worked with RM 7.5.4.0; I don't know if anything changed in the latest update that would affect them.

I had also developed pre-TreeShare a script that would copy an event from one person to all the members of a group. It would replace the above process with create group, find a record number in a database table, copy to group. Then use the same TreeShare link copy for duplicates of Ancestry Source citations.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#27 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

Thanks Tom

Appreciate the info

RickL

#28 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:20 PM

Jerry,
This should have been obvious to me, but I really didn't realize it until I used your "merge" method
suggestion for a while. If a person has several facts (i.e. census events) you can move them all to
other members of the tree (i.e. census family members) at the same time. So, for example, if the family
head has four census records that include a spouse and several children, you can use the merge to copy
all four events to each family member with a single merge. This is saving me significant time, and works great.
Thanks again,
Rick

RickL