• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 julietmorris57

julietmorris57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

Hello, I am hoping for advice as I am thinking of sharing my tree, 35 years in the making, and associated documents / photos with a couple of family member but am a loss how to do it. I have stuff such as a book my granddad wrote, many letters etc that are not in the tree and are stored separately. I am trying to decide if I would I be better to add it all to my tree in Roots Magic and share my Rootsmagic with them or would I be better to create an online space of some kind? My issues are that I would like to retain a measure of control, specifically I would like to know if changes are made to my tree or other "stuff". One of my relatives says she has stuff of her own that she can add so I would be keen for her to be able to do that, if I share my tree with her would she be able to make changes and would I have a way to know if changes are made? Can anyone advise on my best course of action?

pps I didn't know what tags to add, if anyone can help with that please do.

Many thanks in advance for your kindness in helping.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5876 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

The easy answer is that RootsMagic cannot satisfy your desire to share, collaborate and control. You can 'share' your database in a number of ways but you cannot control what they do with it unless you stick to a read-only website. There is no collaborative mechanism within RM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7957 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

You could upload your tree to Ancestry with all the media, etc. Then share and let them edit it. You will see when they add to the tree but can decide if you want it included in your database or not. 

Renee
RootsMagic