• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 marcelma

marcelma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

I want to merge a gedcom file into an existing tree and I would like to add a user defined field to all records of the gedcom file, so that I can later see from where each record originates and/or from what sources records have been merged. Besides I want to be able to sort records in the people's-view according to the enties of that field. Is there any way to do so without snailing through the whole list and adding that field manually to each record?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

RM's GEDCOM import process allows you to add the same source to each person being imported. That source in turn can be used for color coding or making a group.

This doesn't help with People View, but it does help in a lot of other ways. There really isn't a way within RM itself to bulk add a field that's visible from People View. You would have to do that with SQLite.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

You could add a shared fact to everyone connected to the source you added in the GEDCOM import. You can't search on a shared fact but you would see it on their Edit Person screen. You could also color-code everyone using that source.

When you share the fact click on "Add multiple people"

Click Mark group>Select People by data fields

Filter: Source (general) - footnote contains - (specific text)

It would be a similar filter for color-codding "People selected from a list"

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: replace, gedcom merging, browsing