Direct Import from Legacy 9 - Issue with Media Folder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ancestor_collector

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:12 AM

I purchased RootsMagic 7 (running, created a new database, and chose to directly import from my Legacy database (Legacy version The first time this happened, I received a pointer error. I tried again which seemed to complete. However, the first thing I noticed is that my media was not showing. I clicked on the Person Media, and it has placeholders for all the images but all show a red "X".

The "File: " section starts with [My Documents]\ (which is the start of my path to my media files). It seems Rootsmagic is not resolving [My Documents] to the correct Windows file path.

Is this a known issue, and how should I properly correct it?

I am concerned at finding any issues with the Legacy import, because there could be other parts of my large database that are also not completely converted.

#2 TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5660 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:04 AM

I would say it is known to the developers that RM supports nothing other than absolute paths to files on drives beginning with X:.

You can use RM Search & Replace on media filenames to substitute [My Documents] with its absolute path.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7520 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

Development is aware of this. Best thing right now is like Tom said - to use Search & Replace to give the absolute path.